Cabrio Rear Subframe removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabrio Rear Subframe removal

Okay, cabrios are different, you cant see the bolt. What other way can I remove the subframe effectively. If you dont know what I'm tlaking about please do not respond to this thread. I have taken 2 subframes out of coupe and a sedan. So I know how to do it, I'm trying to figure out how to do it in a cab.

Cabrio owns please help.

Subscribed for an answer. I'll be doing this in the spring to do SS brake lines and a 5-lug.
    sigpic
    Turbo Cabrio project: http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=19677

Comment

+1 would like to know
      03 M3 Vert
      89 325i

Comment

Which bolt? This concerns me now because i was planning to do mine soon.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I just removed the cabrio subframe bolt yesterday. On my car all I had to do was hit it with an air chisel from the bottom. 2 seconds and it popped up. The bolt is hidden behind the rear panel. I didn't have the foam insulation like people talk about on the coupe and sedan.

another quick note, I used a steel pipe cap with and outer diameter of 2-3/16" to press out the subframe bushing along with a 6" jaw puller.
          Last edited by vtman05; 01-19-2010, 06:50 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

a few months ago somone did a nice write up on doing this in a cab, but Ill be darned if I can locate it
            but its out there
            they showed how they bent a rod to hit the bolt from above
            Last edited by 3bvert; 01-21-2010, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Let me clear some things up and some of my own experiences to help those who is removing bushings.

Can I remove the subframe with the bolts still in tack? and if I hit the bolt through can I actually physically reach it? easily to put it back ? will it hit hte rear window? I dont even know where "exactly" it is. I havent tried really hard either.

another thing with getting the bushings out, the bushing from the rear subframe is super easy to remove. Take a torch, heat the METAL, not the bushing. once you start seeing the grease boil over and out from the side, hit it with a hammer, any hammer really. It will pop right out. This is super easy removal, do not attempt to cut or press it out, I have tried both, and it takes infinitely longer. Torch for approx 30 sec. and one hit with the hammer on the aluminum top of the bushing center, and it will literally shoot out.

Comment

check out couple post down Someone post about cabrios.

Comment

Try this approach:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

just give them a pop, theyll come out, im not sure i even removed mine
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

remove rear side panel. it shouldnt be that hard. put something on top of the bolt when you hit it below. i used a press to remove the bushings.

Comment

the subframe on my cabrio just dropped down when I removed the nuts. Guess I'm lucky!
                        '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

car on ground, remove nut, lift one side and it should pop out, that's how mine went.

Comment

Hey, I'm late to the reply.... I've been putting off the e30 for some time now but finally getting back into the game, been reading up again and came across this thread.

I made a write-up w/ pics, scroll thru the thread to see the pics. It worked great. Do this before you break the bushing out in the body, which I did.

Darn subframe hasn't moved from that location since.... this is about to change...

~Rick | 1990 325iC ~Noelle - Her build/cleanup thread http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=179507

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
                              the subframe on my cabrio just dropped down when I removed the nuts. Guess I'm lucky!
                              sigh...GRRRR

Comment

Working...
                              X