Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
    Yep, that's a simple way to put it.

When we were initially approached on selling them we put them on a race e30 M3. Frankly, the car would have been more predictable on Bilstein Sports and IE3's/H&R race springs . Extremely vague feedback, needless to say that's why they're not listed.

I wouldn't get these near a dedicated track car, for that go talk to GC, TC Kline, so on and so forth. But if your part of the "low and go" crowd (or even the none-competitive racer) and monies are tight then by all means, just don't have any false assumptions.
    Did you install a generic 8k/8k kit or actually try proven rates?
    If I were to build a track car or daily/auto-x, even cheaply, I'd also go with a proven setup as you mentioned.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I've had a set of Megan coils on an rx7, which had great summer tires (245/40/17) and found the car very unpredictable and noticed almost no difference in the dampening adjustment. My e30 on h&r races and bilstein sports feels much more planted on old all season tires which are only 205/55

Comment

My buddy just put BC's (which have been suggested as being the same exact as Megan, DR2, etc just re-branded) and his Subaru refuses to get any camber. He's all about stance, his old Tien's used to camber the fuck out, but he has his BC's maxed on front and rear plates and the wheels are straight as an arrow. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth...

Comment

there are like 3 holes on the camber plates for you to put the allen bolts to get more camber.
          there is also the chance he installed the plates 180 degrees backwards lol

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
            there are like 3 holes on the camber plates for you to put the allen bolts to get more camber.
            there is also the chance he installed the plates 180 degrees backwards lol
            Possible. but takes a full blown retard to do that L0L

Comment

I was going this route too. Thanks guys for putting in your knowledge. With you guys backing up these coilovers I have a little more reassurance and confidence in purchasing these.

AWESOME!
              SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
              IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
              BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

For what it's worth there are a couple of guys on e30 tech who absolutely love their BC coil overs and claim they are hands down better than any spring/shock combo they've tried. Eg IE springs/bilstiens. I specifically remember one member saying that he really didn't want to like them because they were cheap and made in china but he just can't help himself!

It's so hard to trust opinions on the internet. When I was looking for suspension for my e46 m3, everybody seemed to think the GC street/track kit was amazing. It resulted in a terrible ride when lowered at all and a blown koni in less than 5000 miles.

I'm considering just taking a gamble on these Megans based on the rave reviews of the BC's. One of the vendors on this forum tells me the Megan's are valved exactly the same
                Last edited by johnjohnsons54; 07-03-2012, 09:31 PM.

ZF320 | M50 Mani | TRM + 21.5lb Injectors + 3.5in MAF | E36 M3 Rack/Driveshaft | Megan Coilovers | 002R/452's
                In the works: UUC Evo 3/DSSR, JB Racing lightweight Flywheel, Shrick cams, BBK (yet to be determined)
                I NEED A WINGLESS AW TRUNK LID PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by johnjohnsons54 View Post
                  For what it's worth there are a couple of guys on e30 tech who absolutely love their BC coil overs and claim they are hands down better than any spring/shock combo they've tried. Eg IE springs/bilstiens. I specifically remember one member saying that he really didn't want to like them because they were cheap and made in china but he just can help himself!

It's so hard to trust opinions on the internet. When I was looking for suspension for my e46 m3, everybody seemed to think the GC street/track kit was amazing. It resulted in a terrible ride when lowered at all and a blown koni in less than 5000 miles.

I'm considering just taking a gamble on these Megans based on the rave reviews of the BC's. One of the vendors on this forum tells me the Megan's are valved exactly the same
                  Glad to see i want Megans to be socially accepted amongst every other e30 owners

Comment

Originally posted by johnjohnsons54 View Post
                    For what it's worth there are a couple of guys on e30 tech who absolutely love their BC coil overs and claim they are hands down better than any spring/shock combo they've tried. Eg IE springs/bilstiens. I specifically remember one member saying that he really didn't want to like them because they were cheap and made in china but he just can help himself!

Personelly I go and buy coilovers for better track times. So the only reviews I bother reading are from people who track regularly and no their shit when it comes to suspension. If low for the street is what you want then you really can not go wrong with BC/Megans/D2 ect ect they all do the same thing.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                      Personelly I go and buy coilovers for better track times. So the only reviews I bother reading are from people who track regularly and no their shit when it comes to suspension. If low for the street is what you want then you really can not go wrong with BC/Megans/D2 ect ect they all do the same thing.
                      I tend to agree with you here. I'm one of the guys who's not terribly concerned about race track performance. I learned an expensive lesson...... that a highly praised track suspension (even with fairly streetable rates) doesn't necessarily perform well or inspire confidence on crappy street roads.

I'm hoping these Megans are a solid option for aggressive street driving. Assuming they're valved properly, I'm a fan of the shortened shock body design that doesn't require compression of the springs in order to lower the car. I like the inclusion of the pillow ball mounted camber plates....and the fact that I won't have to worry about messing with drop hats and spring pads etc to get my desired ride height.

Update: Just emailed my vendor about pulling the trigger on these. I'll be sure to give a thorough review once these babies are in...
                      Last edited by johnjohnsons54; 07-04-2012, 10:59 AM.

ZF320 | M50 Mani | TRM + 21.5lb Injectors + 3.5in MAF | E36 M3 Rack/Driveshaft | Megan Coilovers | 002R/452's
                      In the works: UUC Evo 3/DSSR, JB Racing lightweight Flywheel, Shrick cams, BBK (yet to be determined)

Comment

Megans in my opinion are THE BEST for aggresive street driving.

Comment

Sorry for the the phone photos, if anyone needs detailed photos, I'll try to get some for the next install. But none the less, Chris did a great DIY thread for the Megan's: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=245698

Lower it without sacrificing suspension travel.

I could go a lot lower in the front, but then the car wouldn't be good for daily since already I'm dragging my exhaust everywhere and my skid plate is about 2" from the ground. I drive my car daily at that height 30 miles a day and it's as comfortable as it could get. I've driven a few different E30's and none of them feels as good as my car at this height.

I use to do a lot of track events 4 years ago with my AE86, so suspension isn't new to me. I've done many coilover set ups for the 86ers and I was going to do the same for the E30's but found that now days isn't like how it was 5-6 years ago where good priced parts were a little hard to come by. If my E30 was manual, I would probably go to as many track event that I could- much like what I use to do with the 86. I would feel comfortable using Megan for both drifting and gripping, however for the hardcore competitive road racers, then these may not be up to your par. Not saying that Megan's wouldn't do well, but anything out of the box wouldn't cut it as different weight, wheel, and driver combination varies from one another. Just putting it out there for those to consider.

If anyone has any general questions about Megan coilovers, feel free to PM/Email me with them. If anyone would like to purchase a set for E30's or any other cars, feel free to PM me as well!
                          MILD | Steady Garage

Transaction Feedback
                          Megan Racing Euro Coilovers for E30

Comment

^ they look really good on there. how do you find the 8k/8k rates out of the box? i would think they would seem too soft in the rear, considering general practice is to go maybe 2k harder rear compared to front to allow for the divorced spring/shock setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Ant_e30 View Post
                              ^ they look really good on there. how do you find the 8k/8k rates out of the box? i would think they would seem too soft in the rear, considering general practice is to go maybe 2k harder rear compared to front to allow for the divorced spring/shock setup?
                              Im pretty sure all megans come with 8k 8k stock and have +/- 2k with the dampening. so you can go 8k front and 10k in the back 8k being 450 10k being 550 and also you can get 6k which is 350. which in my opinion is A LOT better than a billy and h&r setup

Comment

Originally posted by EDirtyZ View Post
                                Im pretty sure all megans come with 8k 8k stock and have +/- 2k with the dampening. so you can go 8k front and 10k in the back 8k being 450 10k being 550 and also you can get 6k which is 350. which in my opinion is A LOT better than a billy and h&r setup
                                The megans come 8k/8k out of the box and the shocks are valved such that they would be compatible with spring rates +/- 2k should you choose to run different springs.

I'm not planning to track, and will likely order 6k/8k in order to maintain the front/rear bias that most people agree is best and have a reasonably compliant ride on the shitty roads where I live.
                                Last edited by johnjohnsons54; 07-09-2012, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X