Help...broken key in ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Julien View Post
    tiny drill bit. you affectively try to catch the missing section with the bit (by hand) and then pull it out
    people have asked if this works.. yes it did. I read about it on a DIY a few years back. All you are doing is catching the key in one of the longitudinal grooves with the edge of the small drill bit (again, not on a drill, do it by hand).

anyways, worked like a charm for me in my e30
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

lol you caught me before I was actually awake, completely missed the "by hand" bit.

yeah, those tools I posted are pretty much flexy drill bits. Bet two little ones would work, only problem I could see is how easy small bits are to break

Comment

Call a locksmith. Probably be like $20 with a new key. This is a no brainer for a pro with the correct tools.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
          Call a locksmith. Probably be like $20 with a new key. This is a no brainer for a pro with the correct tools.
          I have a spare key already..just need to pull the broken one out...unfortunately I have to wait till next week, car is in the shop getting ready to get painted right now

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
          '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
          '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Damn, the locksmiths around you must be broke as shit and starving - the ones around my way would charge $50 just to drive out to your car, let alone do any work.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
              Damn, the locksmiths around you must be broke as shit and starving - the ones around my way would charge $50 just to drive out to your car, let alone do any work.
              Lol...I hope they're...so I don't pay that much for the job

Comment

Do u have an early model? I had a broken key for over a year.... Remove the steering wheel and plastic covers. There is a tiny hole around the lock cylinder. What you do is take a pick or something pointy and stick it in the hole. Now take your broken key and turn the ignition until you feel the pick fall into the hole. Then you can remove the whole ignition. At that point you can just turn it upside down and tap the broken piece out.

Late models are easier. There's a hole on the face of the ignition, u stick something in the hole and turn the key till it comes out.

Take it from someone who's had 3 keys snap in the ignition. Easiest method.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

I will try all the methods listed until I get that key out ;-)..

Comment

Mine broke off in the door. I made an extraction tool from a coping saw blade. You know, those little hoop-like saws for precision cutting on thin wood? Just get some of the blades, break one in half, and you have a tool that can get in the lock and pull the broken key out.
                    '90 zinno 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by goldenbb View Post
                      Mine broke off in the door. I made an extraction tool from a coping saw blade. You know, those little hoop-like saws for precision cutting on thin wood? Just get some of the blades, break one in half, and you have a tool that can get in the lock and pull the broken key out.
                      Thanks....now at least I have few methods to try..can you post a picture of the blades you're talking about

Comment

I literally searched "Coping Saw Blade". :roll:

Comment

Working...
                        X