Converting RHD to LHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting RHD to LHD

Im considering picking up a touring that is already in the US. As cool as RHD is, its just not practical. Drive thrus, toll booths, passing slow traffic etc would just suck.

So my question is, what parts are needed other than the dash, and the under dash goodies(mounts etc) to convert it? Im guessing converting a RHD to LHD would be alot easier and cheaper than the other way around.
    89 325i Coupe Auto Delphin Metallic - Sold
    91 325i Sedan Auto Brilliantrot - Sold
    83 323i Euro Coupe Manual Lapisblue - Sold
    89 325i Coupe Manual Delphin - Sold
    89 325i Sedan Auto Brilliantrot
    87 325i Vert Manual Brilliantrot

You would basically need an entire LHD parts car to make sure you get EVERYTHING.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Ive got one sitting in my garage :)

Comment

Is a lot of work...
        Yours truly,
        Rich
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Rigmaster
        you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Wiring harnesses are probably specific. RHD I think has pedal linkage so the booster stays on the left side of the engine bay.

Even into the door with the mirror control, wiring, etc. Hood pull? Depends on how far you want to go with it. There will be holes in the fire wall needing plugged up, and opened up. Steering rack will need swapped, thus hoses.

I'd leave it RHD. I'm lazy. Plus, the down time of the car. You'll want to drive it. If you're like me, you'll get it all apart, then loose interest, and it'll sit in your driveway for years until you either sell it or get back to it, after forgetting where you left off.
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Yea i know its alot of work, but i have the money, and kind of the time lol. Its just hard to find a LHD touring, and i just missed a 324td LHD e30 touring on ebay i probably could have snagged for 11k :(

Comment

I would wait for another lhd if you have the cash. Unless you can pick up an rhd for less than 4 or 5 k.
              Yours truly,
              Rich
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Rigmaster
              you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

ts a LOT of work to do, and 3x that amount to do it nicely.. youll basically need to completely strip both cars from the B pillar forward.. not to mention e30 body harness' are one piece headlight to taillight so thats a huge project in its own..
                then you have to figure in the filling the no longer used holes in the firwall and repainting it..

you should probably hold out for a LHD
                IG: haggardfab

Comment

just get a LHD touring. they made tons of them, I wouldn't rush to find one. the market is inflated and there are going to be more and more of them as they become eligible for importation. BMW made them all the way until 1994, the supply is only going to keep increasing for the next 5 years.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

There are plenty of LHD tourings here in states already I wouldn't want a RHD one personally, but I also wouldn't want to do all that work when you could just pick up another one that's LHD to start with. As stated before you would pretty much have to dissasemble both your car an another parts car entirely to swap everything over and then reassemble.
                    Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                    Bimmerbuddies LLC
                    717-388-1256
                    2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                    bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Not worth the hassle of converting IMO.

Comment

For what you would spend -you are better of getting one imported. It's not that difficult to bring one over.
                        sigpic
                        323i MTEC1
                        Z3 coupe
                        E60 M5

Comment

Working...
                        X