Indy aero question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indy aero question

What's with the asymmetrical rear wing set-up for Indy qualifying? There's the main rear wing and then smaller "winglets" (?) up over the rear wheel skirts. During qualifying they've all taken off the right winglet. Its obviously for minimizing drag. Could it also be it pulls a bit on the left to help turn in without steering input and tire scrub?

TV man just told me Alonso will run with both winglets taken off and handling may be edgy.

Just curious how this is working - only time I've seen asymmetrical aero is on those dirt track sprint cars, but they're always sideways.

Hadn't heard about that. But your theory makes sense to me.

Comment

Bourdais could have used a bit more downforce yesterday. What a hit - it wasn't long ago that would have been a fatal crash. Pretty damn lucky.

Can't believe the tub survived that and that they'll enter another driver - unless they're borrowing a tub from another team. I don't think they had a backup.

Physics don't mess around.

Comment

Maybe with weight transfer, they don't think they need extra downforce on that side?

That's all I can come up with?
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Much better looking car next year, and cheaper to build a single aero kit. Tub remains the same I think - it's tough and safe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	indycar_f_sw_red_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	7191003

Name:	indycar_plain_sw_red_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	7191004

Name:	indycar_r_sw_red_01.jpg