M52 obd2 swap, DIY wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52 obd2 swap, DIY wiring harness

Hello everyone. I'm a new italian user of the forum so, please, be patient and sorry for my bad english. :D
    I'm swapping a M52B28 single vanos engine in my E30 320i.

The donor veichle is a '97 528 E39.

Now i'm waiting for the delivery of some parts, like the E34 pan, the engine mounts etc.
    But i have a problem. I expected to find in the 5 series an engine wiring with the x20 plug but there isn't.
    I think the engine wiring is an OBD2 although the car has a Siemens MS 41.0 ECU (not 41.1 or next).
    The E30 has a L-Jetronic ECU with the round C101 connector. My plans were to build an adapter between the C101 and the X20 connector but, obviously, i can't do it anymore.
    So, can you suggest me the easiest way to connect the M52 engine wiring to the E30 ?
    The engine is going to run stock for a long time, so i prefer not to go crazy with a standalone engine management like Megasquirt at the moment.
    The final project is to mount a turbo on it, but only when i'll have enough money ( the engine needs to be rebuild for this upgrade ) and this moment is far.
    I'll deal with the right engine management at the right time.

Now i have the engine wiring harness on my work table and i'm trying to understand how it works.
    The donor car has automatic transmission but i'll use a manual, so i'm going to remove this part of the harness.
    Can i remove the whole connector to the transmission controller ("Getriebesteuerung" on the label) and all the wires from it ?
    I am also preparing to connect a C101 connector to the harness and i'm searching all the wires i need.
    I think it is normal that some of this go to the ECU. In this case do i have to split the wires and connect both to the ECU and to the C101 or i must remove the wire from the ECU and connect it only to the C101 ?

Thank you for your help ! :D
    Last edited by Sido94; 09-12-2016, 09:13 AM.

Check my build thread
    RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

I saw your thread, very interesting.
      Also the pinout table is very useful for my purpose.
      I only have a problem: my wiring harness (the one from the 528) doesn't have the X20 connector.
      With the pinout table i'm working on the wiring harness.
      I have a silly question: the output from the ECU are analog or digital ? Can I connect the wires I need from the ECU to the C101 connector or i have to take them between the sensor and the ECU ?

Comment

Just splice into the wires then. You'll need to use the ETM to trace the connections
        RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by Sido94 View Post

Unrelated but what rear apron is that?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X