Troubleshooting startup, looking for advice - cranks but won't fire up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshooting startup, looking for advice - cranks but won't fire up

I'm working on getting my swap started but not having much luck.

I have Andrew's harness adapter and gpeterson coded my DME.
    • Fuel pump (walbro) primes as expected
    • The DME gets power with key-on
    • Can scan with my wifi-obd2 adapter (no codes, crank sensor outputs appear functional during cranking)
    • The throttles do their startup check and they respond to the pedal
    • The motor will crank but seems to not be getting spark.

I sprayed starter fluid and pushed the accelerator a bit while cranking - noticed that the throttles don't respond during cranking which doesn't seem normal.

Where should I go from here, any advice?

This likely isn't your issue but good things to check. I got mine started last week but it would only fire about one time and then die. I had to:
    1. Disconnect the MAF - this is probably obvious to most but I thought it would be better to have it plugged in even if the intake wasn't mounted. If you don't have your intake mounted, just unplug it otherwise it won't run.
    2. If you don't have a booster mounted - plug up the vacuum hose that goes to it. It causes a massive vacuum leak and won't run.

Good luck.
    Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
    COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
      This likely isn't your issue but good things to check. I got mine started last week but it would only fire about one time and then die. I had to:
      1. Disconnect the MAF - this is probably obvious to most but I thought it would be better to have it plugged in even if the intake wasn't mounted. If you don't have your intake mounted, just unplug it otherwise it won't run.
      2. If you don't have a booster mounted - plug up the vacuum hose that goes to it. It causes a massive vacuum leak and won't run.

Good luck.
      Did it take a lot of cranking to prime the fuel rail (and get out any air)? I'll try it with the maf unplugged, I have had the filter off for my attempts.

Comment

Unplugging the maf had no effect.

I'm looking around for the test method to see if the injectors are getting a signal, but I can tell by probing the connector that there is no sign of voltage with the key at "on" and from what I'm reading there should be, the DME grounds the injector to pulse it.

Comment

I'm not an electronics expert by any means but just trying to give you reference points since mine ran. I have the same setup - Andrew's harness with gpeterson doing the DME coding.

With just the battery connected and no key in I get 12v on all three of the prongs on this injector connection.
          COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
            I'm not an electronics expert by any means but just trying to give you reference points since mine ran. I have the same setup - Andrew's harness with gpeterson doing the DME coding.

With just the battery connected and no key in I get 12v on all three of the prongs on this injector connection.
            Thanks! I traced back and found that the power connection for this sub-harness was not making contact. Fired right up after that!

Comment

Originally posted by butters View Post
              Thanks! I traced back and found that the power connection for this sub-harness was not making contact. Fired right up after that!
              Rad!
              COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Working...
              X