E21 S54 Swap Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E21 S54 Swap Build

So I started a 10 day build thread back in September of 2016, but for some reason all of the photos have disappeared from the original "10 day build" thread.

Anyway for some of the newcomers, I'll recap and catch all the rest of you up with my latest status. I usually post mostly on instagram (fmacaluso82) all the latest photos daily.

Intro: Start with bone stock 1980 E21 320i FI M10

S54B32 101k miles from 2001 M3 w/ ZF S5D-320Z-HCH 5 Speed Trans

Complete E30 Rear Suspension with offset TA bushings and S3.15 Medium Case, rear disc

BMW Style 4 16x8 ET20 with 10mm spacers up front, none in rear. on 215/40/16 Sumitomo HTR

Full GC Coilover E21 350/400 suspension with modified rear trailing arms

80A Poly bushings all around, new bearings, brakes.

New Windshield

Custom length Garagistic Driveshaft

Braum Racing Seats Pair with 4pt harnesses

4pt roll bar

M Tech 1 coarse steering wheel.

Exit Criteria: Fully Functional E21 with new drivetrain, suspension. I won’t have any HVAC, no P/S, heat, No power anything. No creature comforts. Without a roll cage (yet), this will be a near race ready e21. Making custom mounts, exhaust, shifter, program ECU, harnesses…etc. All that jazz.

Thanks to Garagistic LLC and all of their help with resources, tools, and facilities last year. I was able to get the car road worthy in 15 days!!

Once I painted the car red with elasti-paint, I had moved back to Binghamton, NY and resumed the project.

On to the pics! You'll see a lot of different stages since September.

Here's video of me driving it around PCH in Huntington. Needed to completely bleed the clutch, which is why I missed a couple gears. But whatever, I know I'm an amateur!

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Skip ahead about 4 months - Late May 2017....I ended up painting it red to help suppress any further rust that I planned to cut out, got some 16x8 Style 4 wheels, filled and redrilled, and got a decent 500 miles put on the car.

I traveled back from SOCAL to Binghamton, NY where I currently reside and was able to pick up where I left off and get this car proper.

Plans:

Tucked Custom Euro bumpers

Golf Yellow Full Repaint

All Rust Repaired

Fix Wiring issues and intake manifold

Beef up the rear end Differential mount - Go with Garagistic Secondary Diff Mount for medium case diffs.

Completely redo the dual exhaust -

Yes, it's VERY messy but remember, I swapped this complete in 15 days!

Decided to stay with the AlphaN tune and cut out the stock intake trumpets and dress them up a bit. This will require an oil catch can, individual trumpet filters, and a filter on the intake of the ICV.

Last edited by Garageaholic; 12-31-2017, 02:52 PM.
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Got a couple youtube videos of painting it from Primer to Golf Yellow, then another taking the paint booth apart when painting my brother's Comanche.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Time Lapse of the 1hr painting my E21 first coat of Golf Yellow Paint
    Recent Rebranding!!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

F i r e! !! ! !

Comment

Cool.
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Worked more on the intake velocity stacks this weekend. Bought these things from speedmaster. Fits S54, S65, S85 and S65 intakes perfectly

Sanded the entire car down with 1000grit. I actually found that dry sanding the single stage U500 paint was easier than wet sanding. I plan to then sand with 2000g, then 3000g, before a 3 stage polish.

Don't worry, lol. I did burn through a couple of times. so that sucks!

Decided to skip to the end on a spot of the trunk just to see/feel what the end result would be. Man, it's smooth!
          Recent Rebranding!!
          E30 SM62/S62
          E30 M60 V8
          E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Update:
            I'm wetsanding the entire car down tonight with 2000grit, then 3000grit, then rear end rebuild ( diff rebuild, gearing change, diff mounting to body, second diff mount, inspect e30 subframe and TAs).
            If my wife doesn't go into labor this week that's the plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Recent Rebranding!!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

How do velocity stacks do vs a traditional intake? I would think the heat would be bad for the intake. Just asking because I am working on an S54 for my swap as well.
              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Actually to be honest I would rather have done a stock intake- but I went velocity stacks because I physically couldn't fit a stock intake! And because of that, I have to figure out what to do with an oil catch can. No big deal. Yes it will pull hot air in the intake. so i am thinking about making a custom cold air type intake later down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Recent Rebranding!!
                E30 SM62/S62
                E30 M60 V8
                E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Cool build!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Love it

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

Thanks!!
                      Well as you may have gathered since my last post, I DID have a child a couple weeks ago. A Daughter! Her name is Ryann and understandably my project took a backseat for a little while. I should slowly pick up with it in a couple more weeks, so standby!!
                      6lb-8oz 20" Long
                      Ryann Avery Macaluso

In the meantime, I might take a few pics of my garage and some filler posts of tools that I recommend for any type of work like this on the cheap. Thanks again,
                      Recent Rebranding!!
                      E30 SM62/S62
                      E30 M60 V8
                      E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Working...
                      X