This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
    I guarantee you that car is NOT CA legal. Issues of getting a non-north america car to pass federal DOT stuff aside, we never had the m20b20, so unless it has a BAR sticker, it just "snuck" through a smog station.
    Careful with that guarantee if you dont know the specifics, the seller is a known fab guy "kooglewerks" and it has cali registration and smog. Some people dont cut corners and have paid through the nose to get these cars legal. Keep in mind this is a RHD M20B20 so it probably wasnt too expensive to purchase, but then doing it properly added thousands to the price, and here we are. $12k asking on a touring with the babiest baby 6 motor
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Careful with that guarantee if you dont know the specifics, the seller is a known fab guy "kooglewerks" and it has cali registration and smog. Some people dont cut corners and have paid through the nose to get these cars legal. Keep in mind this is a RHD M20B20 so it probably wasnt too expensive to purchase, but then doing it properly added thousands to the price, and here we are. $12k asking on a touring with the babiest baby 6 motor
      Ok, that's a good point. I don't know what he's done and I shouldn't rush to judge. So it's possible the car is fully legal, but I am highly skeptical of that. I just don't see how he could get it legal with an engine that never had any CA smog standards. I mean, if it had an m20b25 it wouldn't be inconceivable to get it legal, but I don't see how an m20b20 could be fully legal.

For example, I have a friend with an e12 that got BAR'd to allow the car to have an m30b34 in it. Somehow they didn't notice that his b34 is the euro only high compression engine. So yeah, it's BAR'd to have a b34, but I don't they would allow it if they knew it was the euro engine.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

My 323i is also Cali legal, and we never got that engine here either.
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
          My 323i is also Cali legal, and we never got that engine here either.
          Ok, I stand corrected and take it back. I've never heard of someone getting a non-NA engine legal in CA, but apparently it can happen. Good to know.

What did it take to get it legal here?
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
            Ok, I stand corrected and take it back. I've never heard of someone getting a non-NA engine legal in CA, but apparently it can happen. Good to know.

What did it take to get it legal here?
            You'd have to ask the guy two owners ago. I just bought it last month- all I know it's got a BAR sticker :)
            past:
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:

Comment

It's not impossible to get a non-US motor to become CA legal. It does take more time and money though as you have to go to the "State Lab" where they perform whatever black magic or witchcraft to make these motors comply by California standards. I feel this is more prevalent with the JDM cars once they hit 25 years old. Here's a good example of an RB26 with a BAR sticker:

Toprank Importers sells JDM imported cars and specialty vehicles from all over the world at our dealership in California. R34 and S15 turn 25 years old in 2024

As for the old BMWs, like the 323i or euro 635s that seem to pop up for sale, from my observations these cars have riveted on plaques that are stamped from the 80's or 90's when a lot of these were brought in as grey market imports. Whether or not these motors are drastically modified for California emissions is beyond me, but they got into the state somehow and registered for that matter. As for the 2 liter m20 car, if it's genuinely California legal, kudos to them for doing it right, especially in this day and age. I'll be curious if the e36 wagons will cause a craze once they become eligible for import.

Comment

@decay, is your Baur blue? I think I saw you in the Ikea garage about 2 weeks ago? Was driving an old Bronco II.
                1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
                2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
                2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
                1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
                1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

Originally posted by chriso View Post
                  @decay, is your Baur blue? I think I saw you in the Ikea garage about 2 weeks ago? Was driving an old Bronco II.
                  Yup, that would have been me and the gf bein' all domestic and shit. :)
                  past:
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:

Comment

Yup, that would have been me and the gf bein' all domestic and shit. :)
                    Was 1/2 stalking it out trying to "accidentally" start a conversation while walking into the store, but I think you were leaving instead of parking!
                    2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                    2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Originally posted by chriso View Post
                      Was 1/2 stalking it out trying to "accidentally" start a conversation while walking into the store, but I think you were leaving instead of parking!
                      i moved to SF at the beginning of the month (hence the ikea run) but i could probably be convinced to show up at a meet in the east bay if we have one.
                      past:
                      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                      1985 323i baur
                      current:

Comment

i moved to SF at the beginning of the month (hence the ikea run) but i could probably be convinced to show up at a meet in the east bay if we have one.
                        Weren't you in San Lorenzo before? I thought I might have asked at one point.

Comment

yes, then oakland for a year, then SF once I got sick of the Bart commute. my last two jobs have been in the FiDi so driving is really not an option.
                          past:
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:

Comment

Yeah, the commute sucks. I live in Albany and commute to South Park. Definitely looking into moving to SF in October.

Trying to get the 318is more reliable before selling my 135i, and I want to sell the 135i before moving to SF.
                            2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                            2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Just saw on craiglist today that Toodaloo sold his car...
                              2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
                              1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
                              1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

There's a 324d at pick n pull north SJ if anybody's interested. The euro bits are gone but the engine seems mostly complete minus the valve cover. It's an automatic and it's been federalized

Comment

Working...
                                X