Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UUC DSSR / e30 318is m42 getrag 240 (DSSR273)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UUC DSSR / e30 318is m42 getrag 240 (DSSR273)

This posting is a shout out to Rob Levinson of UUC Motorwerks as well as a review of my experience installing UUC shifting hardware.

Purchased a UUC short-shifter in the late fall of ’03. Turned out the time of purchase time was during an evolutionary time between the EVO2 and EVO3 versions. The part I received had the bottom geometry of the EVO3 and also featured an early version of height-adjustment.

original at top / UUC shifter at bottom:

In late winter of ’08, I learned about the Double-Shear Selector Rods (DSSR) that UUC had developed. I loved its design and thought it’d be a great compliment to the UUC shifter. Due to a misunderstanding on my part, a DSSR187 was ordered. This particular part was designed for an e30 with an m20 motor and 260 trans. I didn’t discover until later that 240s are shorter than 260s.

Because my e30 project was off and on – there were times when I’d slowly gather parts and pull them off the shelf when the time came. It was rare, but sometimes the part would be pulled years later – and only then discovered as an incorrect part. In this case, more then a year had passed before I went to install the DSSR.

Rob was great to work with. I explained what happened and provided measurements of the stock m42/240 selector rod (~275mm). He indicated a possible fit of DSSR273 designed for an e39 m5 model (273mm). Turned out, difference between the two was more like .5 to 1 mm. This was great news.

After some investigation and comparison – I did end up blitzing some material from one side of a connection end. This was done to provide a greater margin of comfort between the selector rod connection point and the flex disk on the drive shaft.

I LOVE the shifting action. Shifting gears is like flicking a switch. Short, without pronounced ‘notchiness’. Noted how much heavier the DSSR rod is over the OE unit – this also added to quality of feel. Literally, bang-on perfection. (All other related linkage parts were also replaced with OEM (bitch clip, rear carrier bushing/mount, and gearshift rod joint)). HUGE, HUGE improvement from the spoon-in-a-bowl-of-porridge-feel that the shift action had when I purchased the car.

Products from UUC are like getting something made by NASA. I’ve spent some time working in a job-shop, and I’m impressed by how beautiful the machine-work is on UUC parts when they arrive. Part of me feels bad that they’re hidden from sight under the shifter boot.

Photos of installed stock selector rod:

Position at fifth gear:

Selector rod comparison shots:

The UUC short shifter uses roller bearings with bushings for smoother action. The thicker pair of bushings on the left are designed for use with stock selector rod. The slimmer pair on the right was provided for use with the DSSR. There was a small amount of wiggle room when I used the slimmer pair. Discovered that using one thick and one slim bushing provided a perfect fit of the DSSR to the shifter.

DSSR hardware:

Trial install:

Positions at reverse (left) and at fifth gear (a little too close):

This picture was taken after removing material from one side/end of selector area for greater clearance from flex disc:

Final install:

Reverse/5th positions:

Before/after view from cabin (in neutral) (no noticeable difference in angle):

Great products and service from UUC. Thanks again Rob !
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Great pics & review, good job!

Comment

Great pictures and information, thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear that their parts are top quality as I was looking at picking up an EVO3 for my car.

Comment

Does anyone know if UUC sells just the metal shifter bushings?...Not listed on their site.
        sigpic
        The Keystone Killers: for the Commonwealth!
        Member #18 of M42Club.com
        1991 318is Diamantschwarz Black
        1992 850i Calypso Red

Comment

Post some pics of those seats! They look dope.

Comment

Nice write-up

Ive been looking into getting a short shifter for my 318 but never knew which one to get.
            Ive felt the rogue shirt shifter in an e30 m3 and that was the best ive felt.
            Still not super impressed

Im going to try this UUC setup when I change my clutch.
            450 bones is steep though

Hunter
            We're out there in here.

Comment

So did the DSSR187 work or did you swap it for the DSSR273? I am looking into getting this rod for my M42 and I would like to know what you ended up doing.

Thanks
              E30 | E46 | E53 | F31

Collection of my DIY Guides here

Comment

Very nice!
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by X_WizarD_X
                  Does anyone know if UUC sells just the metal shifter bushings?...Not listed on their site.
                  Contact Rob or a representative at UUC MotorWerks. Good guys to work with in my experience.

Originally posted by cncmastr
                  So did the DSSR187 work or did you swap it for the DSSR273? I am looking into getting this rod for my M42 and I would like to know what you ended up doing.
                  You'll want the DSSR273 for your m42/g240 combo.

Levent of Guten Parts + Service is now running a special on the UUC evo3/DSSR package.

As far as I’m concerned – this is the cat’s meow of shift linkage upgrades for the e30 car.

Contact Levent for pricing. (a price so good it must be kept on the down low)

UUC products are outstanding – and Levent is always a pleasure to work with. A true enthusiast worth supporting.

Levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

I have been wondering for awhile if it's possible to get a twisted DSSR for us 24V swap/G260 guys, or maybe later on down the line, G420 6 speed. IIRC E36 M3 EVO shift linkages are needed for that.

Comment

Shoot Rob an email..

New products are made from demand - and yeah - there should be a demand for what you wish with the growing swap popularity. If it would sell, they will make it..

Comment

Thanks Simon_S. Levent and GPS are awesome. I called him today. I am going to order the SSK from them!
                        E30 | E46 | E53 | F31

Collection of my DIY Guides here

Comment

Originally posted by cncmastr View Post
                          Thanks Simon_S. Levent and GPS are awesome. I called him today. I am going to order the SSK from them!
                          Like!

Comment

So i've been wanting to order one of these ever since I read your write up on it. I had my friend call them for me since I'm deployed and they told her it was 144.10 shipped during one of their 15% off and free shipping sales. regular price is 149. Here's the kicker, I go on their website and order it thru the online store, only paid 126.65; makes me sick to think that I sacrifice my freedoms so that their POS sales people can lie over the phone to my friend.

/rant

great write-up :)

Comment

» PARTS FOR SALE
                              » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Working...
                              X