E36 Steering Rack Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a used E36 rack I picked up, with a new seal kit before I complete the swap into my 318is.

My first question is: how should I clean all the old grease and fluid out / off the rack? Is brake fluid fine or should I be using something else?

My second question is: where is the best place to get the new seal kit? All the parts stores locally have said its going to be 4 weeks to order in, and the only place I can find it online has it for $94 USD...which is way more than I'm willing to spend on a few o rings.

Thoughts?
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

I used brake clean on my rack rebuild to clean it out BEFORE new seals were put in other wise it will damage the new seals. I got my rebuild kit from blunttech and it was a lot cheaper like 40-50?

Also the rebuild is a little more involved then O-rings. There are 4-5 seals similar to a crank/cam seal that will need to be carefully driven out and new ones back in.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I would call Blunttech first as he is a sponsor here. Also FCPEuro.com
      https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...es-32131094629
      sigpic
      Steve Corbett
      1983 528E Scrapped
      1983 528E Sold
      1984 745I
      1984 325E - Sold
      1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
      1989 325I Zinno
      1988 635CSI

Comment

94 is pretty steep, that's almost half the cost of a rebuilt one from rack doctor.
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
          I used brake clean on my rack rebuild to clean it out BEFORE new seals were put in other wise it will damage the new seals. I got my rebuild kit from blunttech and it was a lot cheaper like 40-50?

Also the rebuild is a little more involved then O-rings. There are 4-5 seals similar to a crank/cam seal that will need to be carefully driven out and new ones back in.
          Thanks for the insight. I can see in the kit that it is more than a few o rings, but since I am cleaning it before installing a new seal kit I'll just blast it with brake cleaner before hand and let it dry off overnight to be sure.

On another note, suggestions for what type of grease to use during reassembly?

Originally posted by Steve Corbett View Post
          I would call Blunttech first as he is a sponsor here. Also FCPEuro.com
          https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...es-32131094629
          Thanks for the link! This is a huge help - contacting him now to see what I can do for getting a set shipped up to Canada.
          Steve • Toronto
          1991 318is • Brillantrot
          Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
            Thanks for the insight. I can see in the kit that it is more than a few o rings, but since I am cleaning it before installing a new seal kit I'll just blast it with brake cleaner before hand and let it dry off overnight to be sure.

On another note, suggestions for what type of grease to use during reassembly?

Thanks for the link! This is a huge help - contacting him now to see what I can do for getting a set shipped up to Canada.

From my research anything can be used that wont harm rubber. I used Lucas oil red n tacky

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Update: Placed an order through FCP for the seal kit, came to $56 shipping included with 4-6 business day shipping.

Thanks for the help guys!
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

So I've run into an issue with this rack rebuild. The seal deep inside the rack is a pain in the ass to get out. No matter what method I try, it wont budge at all. Any thoughts on how to get it out? Pic attached from google to show the seal I am talking about.

Secondly, I've busted the white plastic bushings that accompany the seal. I can't find a part number anywhere for it and I need to replace it once I get the seal removed. Pic attached showing the plastic bushing, and its part 24 in the attached diagram.

Steve • Toronto
                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                Build Thread

Comment

I think I was able to track down this specific part, but the part number doesn't show up on RealOEM and the only place I could find it online was some sketchy website here

The part number I found was 7852 035 131. Is there a way this part number coincides with a different part number for this actual part?

Steve • Toronto
                  1991 318is • Brillantrot
                  Build Thread

Comment

To get that seal out. I took a long piece of UMHW just big enough to catch the edge and drove it out. Same process to get it back in just be careful

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                      To get that seal out. I took a long piece of UMHW just big enough to catch the edge and drove it out. Same process to get it back in just be careful
                      Unfortunately I have already broken the white plastic part trying to get the seal out. I am going to try renting a blind hole bearing puller tool to get the rest of it out, but now I need to track down that little white plastic bearing bush to replace it.
                      Steve • Toronto
                      1991 318is • Brillantrot
                      Build Thread

Comment

Bumpity bump - hoping someone out there is able to help me with the part number or a source to purchase from before I go to the dealer to see if they have anything that would help.
                        Steve • Toronto
                        1991 318is • Brillantrot
                        Build Thread

Comment

I've conceded that I can't get this seal out, and in the process of trying to get it out I managed to damage the interior of the rack 'shell' in the process.

So I'm going to pick up another e36 rack and see if I can try this again. Good thing is I already have the new seal kit in hand ready to go.
                          Steve • Toronto
                          1991 318is • Brillantrot
                          Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                            I've conceded that I can't get this seal out, and in the process of trying to get it out I managed to damage the interior of the rack 'shell' in the process.

So I'm going to pick up another e36 rack and see if I can try this again. Good thing is I already have the new seal kit in hand ready to go.
                            Keep up with the updates. I'm going through the same ordeal. Sometime ago I bought a 91 M3 rack and I'm thinking about either reseal my stock rack or rebuild the M3 one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stapes View Post
                              Keep up with the updates. I'm going through the same ordeal. Sometime ago I bought a 91 M3 rack and I'm thinking about either reseal my stock rack or rebuild the M3 one.
                              I've tracked down a secondary e36 rack that I'm going to use as the new shell. Just organizing with the seller on when I can pick it up. Likely later this week.

I'll keep this updated once I get it.
                              Steve • Toronto
                              1991 318is • Brillantrot
                              Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X