Turbo M20, M30 or M60?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo M20, M30 or M60?

Hi guys. I am considering turbo charging my M20. I have a few questions.

Will a turbo M20 hold up in track days? 20 minute sessions in south Florida heat? I think 300hp would be plenty for my E30.

I also have considered an M30 swap. I like the idea of the swap because I believe it would be easier to manage heat on track days. I like NA throttle response. The power band and torque would probably be very easy to drive yet not slow. BUT the swap is pricey, maybe heavier, more complicated (motor, tranny and driveshaft need swapping) and possible more expensive.

I havent researched m60 swaps yet.

Does anyone have any ideas on cost between the different options? I would not be turning wrenches, with kids, work and lack of skills/tools/space.

Rene
    Last edited by infanterene; 04-02-2017, 03:03 PM.
    I'm not a real car guy :(

M30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is an low mile M30 3.5 doable for $5000 parts and labor?

Comment

m30's run hot in the e30 because there is not sufficient clearance for a big radiator and a cooling fan so you have to use an electric fan with a 535i thin radiator
        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
          m30's run hot in the e30 because there is not sufficient clearance for a big radiator and a cooling fan so you have to use an electric fan with a 535i thin radiator

I got a e36 mishimoto rad in my car and big fan. Runs nice and cool.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by infanterene View Post
            Is an low mile M30 3.5 doable for $5000 parts and labor?
            Your budget and hiring quality labor may be an issue. Just buying a swap engine, and even fitting it in the car is only half the battle (maybe less than half). The time consuming part is the custom items like exhaust, wiring etc.

I would suggest starting with a m20 upgrades and go from there, but you also know I am partial to the small block of BMW (aka m20) ;)

With the ITB's you saw here at the shop, an upgraded camshaft and Megasquirt - you will be nearing 200whp. Track that, then see how much more power you want. This will be within your budget, you can keep your A/C as you requested, and the engine is already there in your car. When you are ready for more power, then decide, but honestly stroking the m20 and putting a proper head on it, it's going to be plenty fast and reliable.

I know "it's just and m20" but don't dismiss it!
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

200 whp is about what the M Coupes have. Almost enough lol

Comment

200 whp is about what the M Coupes have. Almost enough lol
                But! It doesn't sound like this :)....

We ran out of injector, but made good power none the less. Time for an upgrade and put it back on the rollers :)
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  Your budget and hiring quality labor may be an issue. Just buying a swap engine, and even fitting it in the car is only half the battle (maybe less than half). The time consuming part is the custom items like exhaust, wiring etc.

I would suggest starting with a m20 upgrades and go from there, but you also know I am partial to the small block of BMW (aka m20) ;)

With the ITB's you saw here at the shop, an upgraded camshaft and Megasquirt - you will be nearing 200whp. Track that, then see how much more power you want. This will be within your budget, you can keep your A/C as you requested, and the engine is already there in your car. When you are ready for more power, then decide, but honestly stroking the m20 and putting a proper head on it, it's going to be plenty fast and reliable.

I know "it's just and m20" but don't dismiss it!
                  What cam do you recommend going with? Figure the rhd itbs are $1800 with a plenum then whodwho ms $700 another $500 for cam puts it around 3k plus cost of a tune

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Cam depends on compression ratio and desired RPM range. A 288 is going to make more power up high, but it is bit large for a stock compression 2.5 (making the power curve even higher). If you plan on building a stroker and bumping compression, I would suggest over-camming it. The car in the video used a 272, but the client originally intended to stay with a stock bottom end - had I known he was going to turn around and ask for a bottom end build, a 288 would have been better suited.

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
                    puts it around 3k plus cost of a tune
                    This is why I suggested this to the OP given his budget range. Labor to swap the cam, install the ITB's and dyno tune would be $5k-ish, a little over more likely, but HP costs $$ lol
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Gonna have to agree with john. If your looking for a basic track setup. M20 will be best option. Otherwise m30 has 200hp out of the box. M60 is to big imo for e30 if you want tracking abilities. And turbos are never the answer for track cars unless you have the ability to spend lots $$$ to keep it cool properly and deal with all the headaches from it

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

$3000 for parts is not including everything, shipping, gaskets, misc it's adds up quick. Labor also adds up quick, everything takes longer than expected working on old cars.

Comment

$3000 for parts is not including everything, shipping, gaskets, misc it's adds up quick. Labor also adds up quick, everything takes longer than expected working on old cars.

Are you not able to do any work your self? Will save you a chunk of change for sure. It's not like these cars are difficult either. Buy a Bentley manual and you can pretty much rebuild an entire car from the book.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I am not at all capable of doing this job myself. I don't have the skill, the time, the space, the tools or the moxie to do it myself. I am pretty good at taking things apart but terrible at putting them together.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                              Are you not able to do any work your self? Will save you a chunk of change for sure. It's not like these cars are difficult either. Buy a Bentley manual and you can pretty much rebuild an entire car from the book.
                              We have done several items for the OP over the years. In fact his Z3M was one of the first jobs we did at the new location - the rear subframe was hanging half way out of the car o.0. Hard to believe it's already been 6yr here, we were at a smaller location a few buildings over prior...

Shop looks so different/full now, and I actually wear uniforms haha!
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

Working...
                              X