Ruby's Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levy3Poop View Post
    Why did you get towed 5 times, and how long have you had your car?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Each one was different. I've had my car for a while now. The first tow was because my throwout bearing completely demolished, so i couldn't get the car to start or shift. second time was because after i changed my clutch, i guess i didn't tighten the driveshaft enough so the bolts came loose and my car was towed. The next time was because my fuel pump went out while i was driving, in the middle of the highway, turns out it was an issue with the wiring. 4th time was also related to the fuel pump and same with the 5th time.

I am blessed to have an insurance that offers 20 mile tows in my coverage. Needless to say, ive used it. I think the car is doing quite well now though. Fuel pump is solid.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
      Each one was different. I've had my car for a while now. The first tow was because my throwout bearing completely demolished, so i couldn't get the car to start or shift. second time was because after i changed my clutch, i guess i didn't tighten the driveshaft enough so the bolts came loose and my car was towed. The next time was because my fuel pump went out while i was driving, in the middle of the highway, turns out it was an issue with the wiring. 4th time was also related to the fuel pump and same with the 5th time.

I am blessed to have an insurance that offers 20 mile tows in my coverage. Needless to say, ive used it. I think the car is doing quite well now though. Fuel pump is solid.
      Well that fuel pump is just a little buggar, huh? First thing I checked when the engine died was the fuses. I was hoping the fuel pump fuse died so I could just swap in a new one, but obviously that wasn't the deal.

So what all was wrong with the wiring to your fuse pump? Is there anything I could check on mine to see if it might give me the same trouble your had?

Comment

Good luck on the swap man, bummer that the engine went but sounds like you have a solid plan of attack.

I would take a thorough look over the new engine and ask the PO what servicing has been done as of late. While the engine is out of the car it would be a good time to replace gaskets, hoses, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
          Good luck on the swap man, bummer that the engine went but sounds like you have a solid plan of attack.

I would take a thorough look over the new engine and ask the PO what servicing has been done as of late. While the engine is out of the car it would be a good time to replace gaskets, hoses, etc.
          I'll be replacing the valve cover gasket on the new engine, because I ordered a new one the day before my engine blew lol. The job is getting done ASAP because it's at Dave's house, and kind of an emergency heart transplant. I'll be doing all that jazz on the new engine when I get it though

Comment

Dave's been working in it since he got off work (I had to go IN to work an hour before he got off 😕) and sent me this. That's my old dead engine! After I fly tomorrow, my flight instructor said he'd come down with me to help work on the cars for some beer lol.

I can't wait to get Ruby back to life and hear the sweet M42+MagnaFlow exhaust note. I wish I could have been there for the extraction of the dead engine, but I'm certainly not gonna whine about progress!

Comment

Don't know what magnaflow setup you have but what the previous owner stuck in my 'vert is quite nice with the M42. Nothing obnoxious, just a nice deep tone that adds character. It's the one non- oem part (besides the audio) I have no desire to change.

Comment

Originally posted by cblais19 View Post
                Don't know what magnaflow setup you have but what the previous owner stuck in my 'vert is quite nice with the M42. Nothing obnoxious, just a nice deep tone that adds character. It's the one non- oem part (besides the audio) I have no desire to change.
                Sounds like we have the same mystery MagnaFlow. I absolutely LOVE the note. It's not raspy, not obnoxiously loud, and has a great low tone

Comment

Kevin, the guy I actually bought Ruby from sent me this picture. It's so bizarre seeing that picture and thinking "Yup, that's what I tore up Lime Creek road with" haha

Kevin, Dave, and everyone else involved all know each other because they're in the military, and everyone but Dave works on helicopters. There's definitely worse guys that I could be stuck with!

Comment

Originally posted by Levy3Poop View Post
                    and used my BRAND NEW torque wrench to tighten it to precisely about 40NM
                    sounds very exacting... ;)

Comment

Keep up the good work though!

Comment

Originally posted by tak7 View Post
                        sounds very exacting... ;)
                        Dude, it WAS exciting! :D

Comment

Originally posted by tak7 View Post
                          Keep up the good work though!
                          I hope to have her up and running by tonight!

Comment

Welp, I've been down here working on Ruby as much as so could today, and she's not done yet. We got the new engine installed, the driveshaft connected to the new tranny, a d the heat shield for the drive shaft installed. All we have left is the exhaust and connecting all the wires and hoses under the hood. I'm staying the night at Dave's so we can work in the morning. Here's a few pics from today :)

Comment

Engine is all set!

Comment

looking good hope you get it running soon
                                1990 325i M52 swapped!

Comment

Working...
                                X