BMW e30 325ix front axle noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW e30 325ix front axle noise

Hey guys I'm not here on much. I recently just did my front springs- lowered them to H&R springs and also put tie rods and rebuilt axle on left side. The axle boot was ripped so I had bought used axles from a 325ix BMW and had the axle rebooted and greased. Now the car makes a little noise when I drive like a clunking, rolling clicking noise when I first take off. It sounds like it's coming from the driver side but I cannot tell. It makes noise when I drive straight. I checked sway links even spun wheel when the car was jacked and it didn't make noise. Can someone give me some advice on what to check. I'm hoping it isn't my front differential as it is leaking a little bit in the front.

Could be the cv joints. I hope you still have the old cv axles, time to reboot them and reinstall them.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

I had the same problem. Chances are new boots and grease aren't enough. I needed new cages and bearings at 220k. Rebuilt and now quiet and smooth. Usually when under load/vehicle weight they will click but not when jacked up in the air. I'm in Denver and had CVJ rebuild them for $150 per side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a freshly rebuilt right front axle. Pm me if interested!
        The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
          Could be the cv joints.
          Most likely this. The angle of the CV joint is more severe on the drivers side and will tend to wear faster, especially with lowering springs.

Comment

Working...
          X