Suspension Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Questions

Ok, I've recently purchased a 1990 IX sedan and have a new set of H&R (IX specific) springs in the box. The question now is . . . which shock/strut setup is the best? I have seen mixed reviews of the Bilstein HD's & the Koni's and would love to hear people chime in on their take.

Oh, and I know I will be doing the 14.5mm spring pads in the rear, but I would like to hear other suggestions while the suspension is being worked on as well. Any suggestions like bushings, shock mounts, etc.? Thanks!

Generally speaking, the more expensive the suspension is, the better it is. So buy whatever you can afford to get.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Although I'm hoping for a little bit more detail if possible. Cost isn't really a deterrent for me (well, it could be if it's obscene) so I would really like to hear people chime in on what works best. Especially in regards to the Bilstein vs Koni and any tips on good bushings, rear shock mounts, etc. I'm pretty new to the e30 and just want to do it right. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
        Dang, that is an awesomely huge amount of reading, lol. Thanks for the link - I really appreciate it. So . . . basically it seems like the difference between the two is subjective to some degree - big surprise there, right? However, if I'm reading correctly, the Bilstein HD's require a modification to the front strut bracing, whereas the Koni can just bolt in. Right?

Comment

Both drop right in.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

if you lower the car i also strongly recommend the E30 M3 control arm bushings.
            That said I did that and will also be doing the adjustable rear subframe.

Comment

Awesome - thanks guys! Do you have part numbers or links to the control arm bushings or the adjustable rear subframe?

Comment

e30 m3 (offset) cab bushings push the tire forward, just a fair warning. A lot of people don't notice / don't care, but some people might care about the wheel not looking even in the wheel wheel.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                X