Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to replace fuel line-help!

This rusty POS is driving me nuts!

I have a leak in the hard line from the filter to the motor that I need to replace.
    Looked easy enough until I tried to remove the clamps that hold the line in place.

Is that a screw in the middle of the clamp? I can't tell because it's just a rusty nub. I'm assuming it's a screw or bolt that unscrews so you can drop the lines?
    I've tried to get a vise grip on it without any success.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks!

Andy
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

Yes they are screws and yes they rust, particularly in Vermont !

These are machine screws that screw into a threaded boss welded to the floor panel, they are a bitch to get out. In my case I drilled the heads out to free the plastic clamps. Plenty of PB Blaster and a good set of vice grips might shift the screw remains once you have the clamps out of the way. If not you may have to break off the threaded boss and fit bolts through the floor with nuts to secure the clamps.

Beware of using a flame torch to free the screws near those fuel lines eh ?

Comment

Thanks Seawolf! Ended up prying up the end of the clamp and popping the fuel line out the side. Hopefully I can pop the new line in without removing the clamp as I don't feel like going through what you describe! Way too much work!
      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Yep, that'll work. I replaced all my fore / aft hard lines and didn't have that option.

Those clamps are a truly stupid design but someone thought it was a good idea...

....I hope to meet that person one dark, rainy stormy night after I've just been fired, totally drunk and in a bad mood.

Comment

I replaced the old screws with small stainless allen bolts, much easier to turn than those philips screws! There was one screw the one closest to the engine that was impossible to get loose, I just ground the head on that one off.
          1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Truly a poor design, those tiny sheet metal Philip head screws on the underside of a car that was meant to be driven in the winter. Could have at least covered them with a piece of plastic to help prevent them from corroding or maybe used a stainless bolt or some other fastener.

I ordered a new fuel line and hopefully will be able to pop it in without dealing with removing those screws. Somehow I have a feeling I will have to deal with them at some point considering the state of the rest of my fuel lines....
            1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Working...
            X