351 Ford Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351 Ford Swap

I just bought a 1984 318i and already have a 351 and a turbo laying around so I figured I would swap it. I'm assuming that it is a very similar swap to the 301-302 swaps that people do but I'm curious if anyone has any technical data. Specifically:

Will the t5 transmission be able to handle the increased power or will I have to source/make a built one?

Will the original ECU work or do I need to get a more advanced system to support the turbo?

Also I am pretty clueless on which differential I would need or driveshaft that I need to modify.

Sorry for the noobness of this post but this is my first BMW so I don't know much of what I'm doing. If it's important, this is going to be a track drift car that will be under heavy load often. I'm sure I have more questions but I'm at work right now so don't have much time. I will update on progress and any other questions I have.

I chose not to go T5, and go auto for the time being on my 302. A World Class T5 might hold up, but there are better transmissions out there for the money IMO. I'm doing a 4R70W for my swap, it'll easily hold the power, and then I can save for a T56 or similar late on down the road.

I'd Megasquirt it if you're going turbo.

You'll need whatever driveshaft matches your transmission, and the rear half of the E30 driveshaft, then have a driveshaft shop do the work of actually building the driveshaft. I pulled my driveshaft out of the Mountaineer I got my 302 from, matches the 4R70W I have.

Your biggest issue is going to be brake booster. You cannot run the stock booster. I think most people run manual brakes, or use a Hydroboost system like one from a Trailblazer. SN95 Mustangs also had Hydroboost if I'm not mistaken. I'm going to be trying a Geo Metro vacuum brake booster with a Kia Spectra master cylinder, but if that doesn't clear then I'll go Hydroboost. You may also need to do something with steering linkage. Also, the best method for running the exhaust seems to be using 2 passenger side headers, flipping the drivers side one so it exits out the front. I think some people have done it rear exit, but I'm pretty sure steering linkage becomes a problem then.

Comment

I do have an auto transmission laying around too but I was really trying to go manual just because that's the way I like to race. If I'm not mistaken, you didn't mention the differential which would mean you used the one that comes stock?

Comment

Yes I'm using an E30 differential. That's why you use the rear half of the E30 driveshaft when you have one built.

I just wouldn't go T5 to be honest. Weak transmission, if you're looking to make any sort of power or to race a lot, go with something better. Lots of more modern Mustang transmissions would do the job.

Comment

Any suggestions?

Comment

Tremec TR-3550 is stronger as far as I know. TKO's are supposed to be good as well. TR-3650 can be made to work as well I believe.

Comment

Wouldn't that require a mating plate and move the shift point from the stock hole?

Comment

Originally posted by gordon17074 View Post
                Wouldn't that require a mating plate and move the shift point from the stock hole?
                Not sure which one you're referring to, but I don't know. I just know the T5 is junk.

Comment

Alright, thanks mate. I'll look into those more when I'm off work. Have you heard how the DIY megasquirts compare to the already built ones? Is it just a difference of being put together or not? And which one would I need to use the original harness with turbo modifications?

Comment

I have a DIY Megasquirt, if you're handy at soldering it's a good deal, but if not, I'd just buy a prebuilt unit. I'm going to be connecting my Megasquirt via a prewired bundle, just splicing the wires into the original harness.

Comment

Did you do megasquirt 1,2, or 3? And where did you find your prewired bundle?

Comment

I've got a 3X, and I bought my prewired harnesses for the 3 and 3X from DIYAutoTune, but that's just for the standard pinout, so if you need to change something you might find yourself running a new wire.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

I'll be curious to see if you can fit the 351, I don't know that I've ever seen one done. Don't how how different it is from a 302 either though. I'm probably going to eventually stroke mine out to 347ci.

Comment

Ya I've looked everywhere I can to find a 351 swap and can't find any so I guess I'm pioneering a new plain. Considering the main difference is deck height, I think some hood modifications may be in order.

Comment

Working...
                              X