How safe is the e30 really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How safe is the e30 really?

So I have a Prius, a Mini and my E30. Everyone dogs the Prius, but it does what it was built to do exceedingly well. It holds 5 adults comfortably, has a huge cargo area, and consistently gets 45+ mpg. It takes low grade gas and seems to go forever between fill ups.

The wife drives the Cooper S 6-speed for fun; I have the E30. The Prius handles kid- and grocery-hauling duties. It is very slow and very boring thanks to the CVT and small engine, but it's not supposed to be fast.

Not sure how that guy in the video did a burnout, since you can't turn off DSC. I did get it up to 110mph once. It was not happy and made some funny smells after that. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
    └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
      Agreed! Every Prius driver I get behind seems to always be the slowest most aloof driver I have ever seen.
      I've been tailgated by priuses and passed by speeding prius drivers going a fair clip faster than I am, and I am not a 10mph under the limit kind of guy

Confirmation bias I know but I take note when someone driving an "eco" car is driving like gasoline grows on trees.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
        So I have a Prius, a Mini and my E30. Everyone dogs the Prius, but it does what it was built to do exceedingly well. It holds 5 adults comfortably, has a huge cargo area, and consistently gets 45+ mpg. It takes low grade gas and seems to go forever between fill ups.

The wife drives the Cooper S 6-speed for fun; I have the E30. The Prius handles kid- and grocery-hauling duties. It is very slow and very boring thanks to the CVT and small engine, but it's not supposed to be fast.

Not sure how that guy in the video did a burnout, since you can't turn off DSC. I did get it up to 110mph once. It was not happy and made some funny smells after that. LOL

You can do anything with programming :) My brother in laws friend hooked his Prius up to his house as a backup generator for parts of his house lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

had Prius loaner for a week. Coincidentally, I was gay that week. Unrelated.
          not sure if coincidence?

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

E30 safety is a concern for my wife and my daughter; I'm not allowed to put my 2yo granddaughter in our 325i vert. Renewing the braking, adding strut tower brace and X-brace might help. Not sure what more makes sense to do.

I've had 3 Prii and tended to drive them slow. The '00 was slow. The '05 and '06 were fine as long as you put your foot to the floor. Having driven cab in Boston in a prior life, foot-to-floor as needed was not a foreign concept to me. Now we've gone thru a couple Volts - they've got much more power and can hold their own off a red light with the average Z4 - up to 30 or so. Their 0-60 is 8 sec. Again, only if the driver is willing to use sport mode and put foot to floor.

The bimmer got a few months of grandpa driving, but as I've had the tires, suspension, and all the normal wear items fixed up, I've gotten bolder and do a lot more spirited driving.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
              not sure if coincidence?

t
              Probably not. . .

Hayyyyyyyyy

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Comment

I actually stopped letting my kids ride in the e30 because the backseat doesnt have headrests. Lost my uncle 16 years ago from him snapping his neck in an accident.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Comment

you can always install them.
                  IIRC they were avail. on Euro e30's
                  If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I rolled my IX down a 150ft cliff and I'm still here.

the roof over the driver and front passanger held up well, but if I had anyone in the backseat, they would be super dead.
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

All 4 of us walked out. We were going about 60-70, and I was run off the road, wasn't my fault.
                      Worst injury anyone got was a scratched arm because all the windows were open.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
                      1988 325is - Totaled, Hit and Run
                      1994 530iT - Rusty, Not Running, Gone
                      1989 325i - Clean Body, Barely Runs

Comment

Glad you're ok. glad that my e30 became more valuable! ;)

Comment

Future value only matters if you're foolish enough to sell it.

Do that and you'll be back here in a year or two whining that they're so hard to find.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                          X