Surgery for the track car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
    Hey amigo, by scrap I meant "non e30 component" material. Scrap, new, whatever. Bottom line is you used peices of metal, wheras he used peices of e30. Pull th pompasasity out of your attitude. For fcuks sake, Jessie James makes tanks/frames out of "Scrap/Bulk" so don't take it to the butt.
    I simply pointed what you said before and explained what I used.
    Now, I understand that every piece of metal that was not removed from an e30 (regardless of rust etc) is considered scrap.
    gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Zorin View Post
      Thank you and your repair job looks very good.
      I would recommend applying primer before applying paint and undercoating.
      I used self etching. It's a track car, so "proper paint work" may or may not happen, depending on how I feel that day If it lasts another 3 years, I'll be thrilled.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

/scrap argument

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          I used self etching. It's a track car, so "proper paint work" may or may not happen, depending on how I feel that day If it lasts another 3 years, I'll be thrilled.
          Good stuff. I use automotive tremclad primer on all my welded in patches. If you have any rust spots clean them with lacquer thinner and spray them with tremclad rust paint as a temporary fix to stop rust. It will last few years.
          gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

...I understand that every piece of metal that was not removed from an e30 (regardless of rust etc) is considered scrap.
            I NEVER said that either, It's a term, simply a term. If it would have made your day, I'd have called it "Extra new-super fresh-virgin-unpreviously used-USDA Choice-metal" to satisfy you in regards to your project.

Sorry, didn't catch the ...

/scrap argument

Noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
              I NEVER said that either, It's a term, simply a term. If it would have made your day, I'd have called it "Extra new-super fresh-virgin-unpreviously used-USDA Choice-metal" to satisfy you in regards to your project.
              Thank you for using the proper terminology :D
              gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Good stuff. I use automotive tremclad primer on all my welded in patches. If you have any rust spots clean them with lacquer thinner and spray them with tremclad rust paint as a temporary fix to stop rust. It will last few years.
                Thanks for the tip. I also have this "rust dissolver gel"... looks like basic pink acid. Any experience with that?

Comment

Tremclad is very good and in US it is sold as Rustoleum (sp?) - Home Depot will have it. Rust dissolver is a good product if you gonna work on the metal right away, but if you want to just stop or protect it - use rust converter from rust check etc - it creates "black rust" - it stops any further spreading. There is also POR 15, but it requires proper preparation, while tremclad is more forgiving.
                  gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Tremclad is very good and in US it is sold as Rustoleum (sp?) - Home Depot will have it. Rust dissolver is a good product if you gonna work on the metal right away, but if you want to just stop or protect it - use rust converter from rust check etc - it creates "black rust" - it stops any further spreading. There is also POR 15, but it requires proper preparation, while tremclad is more forgiving.
                    Awesome, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X