Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The peoples car (beware of non e30 content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The peoples car (beware of non e30 content)

So i've had my GTI for almost 8 years now and it is looking pretty ratty. It was the second car i ever bought. The first being an 85 rx7 12a. I got it for a steal. It had a freshly assembled 2 liter conversion with eurospec head and schric cam. It also had a fresh big bumper conversion, recaro trophies, new grill and headlights, and 2,500 worth of other receipts that were done within the prior six months and i got the car for $2,500. The first two years i had it i got in to 3 accidents, and 2 thefts. I also snapped a motor mount, destroyed three axles, fried my tranny, and cracked my new tt exhaust over a steep driveway Since it was my only car i decided to get a more reliable Honda accord coupe and the car sat up until a year ago. I started slowly reworking the car with a new FK 60/40 suspension kit, momo steering wheal and pedal covers, new tt exhaust with flowmaster muffler, single round cross hair conversion, smoked eurotails, and big doors. I then purchased an e30 BMW which has been the focus of my time and money. 8 grand later I can think about is i should have just finished my GTI. So my grandparents referred me to a fleet vehicle body shop to repaint the car and pull out all of the prior accident damage. I recently purchased new bumpers, a monowiper kit and an a/c delete pulley to lighten up the load. I stripped the car and shaved the drivers side wiper, banana lamps, and rear washer. I lost my camera so i could not get any tear down or fab pics. Wne to the shop with my girll friends camera and snapped a few pics. It should be out next week and i'll post updates weekly.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

The door jams were done. I delivered the car with out the doors installed to make sure they could do it easier. I'm going to do as much shaving as i can for the engine bay after i install my a/c delete pulley. I think i'm going to do it hot rod matte black or use truck bed liner spray. When i pulled the moldings off the 92 GTI doors i found out that the door had guide holes. The shop welded them in at no charge as well as shaved the raer panel of emblem holes and the gap where the rear panel and quarter panels meet. I took a trip to VW for misc clips and foam pads. $143 later my butt hole feels a little raw. I finaly received my new bumper. Have not received the mono wiper yet. I dropped by the shop today and they were wet sanding it. Looks better than i was expecting. It will be ready tomorrow but i will be snowboarding so i'll have to pick it up on monday. They said they would reserve a bay for me so i could put the car back together and have the glass installed. Talk about a chill owner. I highly recommend them. Here are a couple of picks taken with my girls pink camera. :laugh:

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

So i went to go and put my car together today. It looked pretty clean except for a couple of small area on the lower fender portions. He said he would repaint them if they still bother me once i put the bumper and test fit the flares.

I got to work and started getting all the trim together and decided to have lunch while the glass was getting installed.

Unfortunately the did not install the rear quarters. When i went to install the mirror i noticed a small green spot where they did not apply enough coats of silver so they are re doing that tomorrow.

I opened up my package for the bumper and noticed i received the wrong front bumper. It was just a skin with no rebar and the incorrect style. Performance Cafe offered to correct it with the right parts but i came up with the idea to just use the skin and the factory rebar from a 92 gti that i got the doors from. Well see if they are down for the credit back. I noticed that the welded on nuts on the rear brakets are space a half inch apart further than they should be. Guess i have to cut some sheet metal or grind off the welds and re weld them where they should be.

I'll figure it out in the morning cause it was getting dark.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Today I ended up just mounting the rear bumper with one bolt on the right side. I have another aftermarket rear bumper that i will try and use instead. I don't think one bolt will really make a difference since the metal for the bracket is thin and weak compared to oem.

I decided to use a different approach for my battery relocation. I had a nut and bolt connecting it to the frame. I ground down the head of the bolt and shortened it and welded to the previous hole. Much easier and a better ground.

Tomorrow i will either install my headers or go to the junk yard and my storage for parts.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

So i did not do to much today. Mainly just trips to garages and storage. Pulled my mk4 eurosport exhaust out and my mk3 handles from storage and my non tinted rear windows
          tow hook cover from my grandparents. I went to a glass shop on my way home and they quoted me $100 to install the rears. Talk about rape. I got the exhaust installed and all new rubber hangers for $40.

I installed the handles and the door panel. The latch did not work so i switched the old ones from the small door. The passenger side is also giving me trouble so i'll need to swap that too.

When i pulled in to the muffler shop i heard a very long scrape. I thought i must have cut in to early and scraped my rocker panel but when i got out and checked it was the front fender. I think i'll just cut away that area.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

So i decided to see what 16's would look like on my car. I like the 205 tires but i guess i would need a 40 series vs the 50's that are on there now since the fender is sitting on the tire. I'd hate to pull them and chip the fresh paint.

I went to the junkyard and pulled some sail panel plates. I plan on molding in some tweeters from and e30. Got a but load of them laying around somewhere. i put on the grill but it does not sit straight . I'm going to have the shop put it on the frame jig and give it a quick tug. It's only slightly off but it looks horrible.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

I've been doing some concrete and tile work in the back yard (i would not call it a yard, more like a concrete safari now) so i have not been able to do much. The rain is not helping either. Got some parts in from BMA though. Kinda cool how they sell you OE parts and grind off the VW logos. I'm missing another box of parts that had a bunch of stuff like big bore intake, inpro smoke side markers, shorty antennae and some other stuff i can't remember. Hmmmmmm.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

i went outside this moring to move some cars for street cleaning and noticed i forgot to put a tarp on my car. Needless to say my interior got wet. i have the interior door seals so it was not too bad but my recaro's did get wet. I removed the bottom cushions and's its actually quite comfy like that. I think i'll have a thin set of made up for the track. I decided to take a trip to check on the status of my parts and surprise surprise they had most of them in. Still waiting on some interior pieces.

How do i install this? I was thinking 3m spray.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Got the ol bugger back from the shop. Doors are on pretty good and the bumper looks decent. I hope to put on all the parts i have boxed up next week during spring break.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

You've done a great job with it. I have a soft spot for well modded Corrados. :up:

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
                    No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

look good. keep the pics coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Desaevious View Post
                        You've done a great job with it. I have a soft spot for well modded Corrados. :up:

Err....

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                        ...So i've had my GTI for almost 8 years now and it is looking pretty ratty....

Comment

Lookin good, not my style though.
                          I have 2x mk2's my self :)
                          Axel
                          BMW 320i Touring (M20B25)

Comment

I know it has that unfinished, neglected step child look. originaly i was going to go complete euro, shaved everything, super dropped look but changed my mind. I got in to Dubs in the 90's and i like the 90's lightly modded (cause there was nothing available) look. I think a set of ronal turbo's or ats cups will really pull the silver and black contrast together. This car will eventually have a full weld in cage and see very little street driving which is almost 0 now. Hence the pending back seat and A/C removal.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                              Err....
                              :roll: eh, I hang around here for car stuff so VW's aren't my forte.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
                              No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

Working...
                              X