Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What could I get for 3k, more or less?

Hello fellow BMW enthusiasts!
    What could I expect or what has anyone experience been by purchasing an E30 for around 3k?
    I kinda wanna have a project car, but understand that in the longer run it would be more expensive than buying something already completed. Have looked at a few near Houston area but no decision made yet. I did see a car recently sold for 3k and was gone in less time that it took the seller to post the car online :( it appeared to be in good shape. It was a 325i 2 door.
    If any have project car for sale in my area please post regardless of $.
    Last edited by ayuyu; 08-31-2014, 05:33 PM. Reason: Add last sentence

I bought my car 2 years ago for 3k despite having service records almost everything needed attention. I am getting close to the car being 100% mechanically eventually I would like to paint it

3k should get you a decent starting point
    1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
    2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
    2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

A lot of it is what kind of project you want. For me I bought my 2 owner 123000 mile e30 for 410 bucks. With that said it does not run but had a lot of records with it. It needs a motor. So I jumped on craigslist an bought a wrecked 95 525i that runs and drives for 400 bucks. I pulled the motor and parted the rest and now in a way have a free motor. So all said an done I have a m50 swapped e30 for under a grand.
      Current
      99 328i (Sold)
      91 318is M50B25TU
      89 325ix (Parted out)
      87 325is (Parted out)
      95 525i (Parted Motor for 91 318is)

Comment

That is exactly what I was considering, a starting point. It would be "project" car to keep me busy, being able to work on your own car would give more appreciaton for it one would think.
        What kinda project, well a 2 door I or is, want the finish car for street use, first have all body done, interiors, suspension, etc and ultimately have it turbo. All of this would be costing some money, but not like I will be spending all at once so I can afford it. Just wanted to hear from others and be inspired. I am on my late thirtys and remember when a teen a family friend had an E30 and it was a dream car then. So is just a matter of time to find a decent one and go from there.

Comment

What could I get for 3k, more or less?

This all depends on where you live. OP, last time I checked the Texas (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio) Craigslists (was in may?) and for 3 grand you could buy a late model 325i that needed, or a damn near perfect 318i/s. Just be patient and make sure you get the one u want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by HennaE30; 09-02-2014, 08:02 AM.
          Originally posted by flyboyx
          how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
          Originally posted by Northern
          beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
          Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
          Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
          '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
          Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Thats the plan, wait for one that I like.

Comment

You will get a car that needs work, basically, because either you pay for the parts someone else put in or you have a car with 20+ year old everything in it that needs fixing.
              '90 zinno 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinl View Post
                I bought my car 2 years ago for 3k despite having service records almost everything needed attention. I am getting close to the car being 100% mechanically eventually I would like to paint it

3k should get you a decent starting point
                This! :curse: This * 10,000,000!!!!!!

Except I paid a lot more for my headaches than you did.
                '90 zinno 325iS

Comment

Cool, understand what you are saying. Thanks, just was looking for what people had experienced with buying a "project" E30. I could buy something used, but would not be my build. And yes, it would be cheaper probably to just buy someones already finished car.

Comment

It all depends on how popular the car is in your area I picked up my 325e for 1500 a year ago and have only had to change the oil and have yet to run into a problem but I can drive 2 hours south and sell the same car for 4k it's all about location. See if it's the same for your area.

Comment

Very true. I have checked for that.

Comment

I would recommend buying a super clean non runner for ~1k. Look for one with perfect body and interior with a broken timing belt or head gasket. These cars would sell for $3-6k if they ran but are very close to not running as everything needs to be replaced anyways. Put a freshly machined head on the car and replace everything else at the same time. This will net you a $6k car for less than $3k if you do the work yourself.
                        f

Comment

Thats an option. Thanks for the advice

Comment

I bought mine for 3k and its in GREAT condition. It was 100% oem, until i got my hands on it, and everything works. Ac, power steering, mint interior, crash free dash, mechanically sound, brand nee paint, 98% rust free etc etc. Heres a link to my car.
                            E30 photo shoot! http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=332283

Honestly you can get a real nice quality car! Granted mine is a 1984 318i with an m10 but I'm in the process of a turbo build so...

Comment

As long as you buy the car from someone not on a forum, you can get a hell of a lot of car for 3k, especially in texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X