M50 low oil, engine ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 low oil, engine ticking

Hi guys, I'm new here and hate for this to be my first post.(asking for help)

About two months ago I checked the oil, it was fine.
    Last week I noticed a ticking sound on my top end, decided to park the car and look at it later when weather gets warmer.
    Today I tried starting the car, and it would turn but not start. I thought battery was low, so I began charging it, tried again and it started but ran very rough.
    I decided to check the oil level, it barely had enough on the tip.(and even that was difficult to notice, but it was wet)
    Immediately I dumped 2 more quarts in the engine and tried again and it started.
    Ticking sound was still there, but it was running!

Now to my question. I really want to fix what's wrong, I'm sure the oil starvation is causing the ticking. (very embarrassing, this isn't my first car)
    What could I have damaged? And what should I look at immediately, before starting it again?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Justin

PS. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, figured 24V section was appropriate.
    Last edited by bimmerman89; 04-18-2014, 05:01 PM.

I don't have a whistle noise like this guy, but the knock is very much the same.
    I think I know what the whistle noise is. I believe it to be the belt tensioner. However, the knocking that you can really hear after revving the engine elu...

Comment

do a compression test, it will tell so much. Pop the plugs and look at what's on them.. . how were you driving it? lots of high revs?

Comment

Originally posted by franky2fingaz View Post
        do a compression test, it will tell so much. Pop the plugs and look at what's on them.. . how were you driving it? lots of high revs?
        Drove it calmly during these three months. I can probably count 2 times, when i actually stepped on it. The car was(is) a daily, approximately 40mi/day commute.

I'll do the compression test and check the plugs and post results asap.

Comment

In addition: Oil blow by through the PCV, pull the throttle body and feel inside the intake for too much oil residue.. sea-foam is what I used but that was a Honda K motor with excessive blow by... new pcv valve too

Comment

Finally had the chance to do a compression test.

First pass, cyl 1-6:

Second pass, cyl 1-6:

Redid, cyl 4 again from the second pass, and it gave me 235. Very strange why the first time i got a much lower #.

Looks like my numbers are all over the board. What else should i be looking for? Opened the cover, and can't see anything that stands out as abnormal.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comment

I'd say a leak down test is in your future.

Comment

Doesn't look like you're performing a compression test properly either. A leak down test will tell you for sure what is what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Working...
                X