Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A_Whelan View Post
    Any pictures of that?
    I've done it too. You can use the same mounting hardware as normal with the basketcase, but just put the bolts through the ends of the basket instead of the bottom. figured out it wasnt worth the hassle of how much longer it takes to hang. also the reduced strength would worry me with a heavier load (relying on the strength of plastic clips).

Comment

Thule 300 mounts LB50 Bars.
      [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

I'm building one as we speak, got the roof rack bars for 45 shipped off ebay, something cheap another forum member posted. I'll post a pic in a couple days when it's done.
        Heres a sneak peak kinda

Comment

Bumping this thread with some pics of a custom rack and fairing that I'm building. Still getting used to the custom fairing, not sure if I want to revise it or not. Give me your feedback. Here's some details on the rack setup.

Rack:
          Company is unknown but the rack itself is known as the "gutter grabber"
          Entire rack has been chopped down 1 inch to create a lower profile against the roof. This made a drastic improvement in looks in my opinion.
          All hardware replaced with stainless steel nuts and double bolts.

Fairing:
          Custom cutout using 1/8 inch thick acrylic.
          Finished with black "Plastidip" front and rear. 43 inches wide, 9.5 inches tall.
          Mounted using stainless steel CD changer brackets.
          Bottom edge has rubber stripping

Future plans including more extruded aluminum supports following same manufacturer's path (from left to right, not front to back.) Snowboard clamps.

Let me know if there are any suggestions in regards to custom alternations.

Owner - Bavarian Restoration
          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I tend to like my fairing @ the same angle as the windshield. What u have there is bugging the crap out of me. More like a spoiler more than a fairing lol. Looks good though for what it is. Move the rack farther back I guess & make the fairing adjustable some way?

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
            DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

^ I'll second that, adjust angle by setting rack further back.

great multi purpose design :)

Comment

that looks great, but i think you'll end up with even worse mpg than without it at that angle.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                my feedback thread

Comment

Ya, I'll have to fab up some new brackets but that's no big deal. Shift the rack back is a 10 minute process.

What do you guys think about the fairing height?
                  www.BavRest.com
                  My Feedback Thread
                  Our Facebook!
                  Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Have the same rack and was looking at doing the same thing. What material did you use for the fairing? I've actually had it without one for a while and don't think I'll be putting one on there now tho. I do like how you have mounted the fairing to the rack, very clean. The thing I didn't like about having a fairing there is that to make it the same height of the rack it just looks too big. Great job on yours! I'll get a pick of mine up later

Comment

Originally posted by NC318e30 View Post
                      Have the same rack and was looking at doing the same thing. What material did you use for the fairing? I've actually had it without one for a while and don't think I'll be putting one on there now tho. I do like how you have mounted the fairing to the rack, very clean. The thing I didn't like about having a fairing there is that to make it the same height of the rack it just looks too big. Great job on yours! I'll get a pick of mine up later
                      Ya, the rack itself is quite tall relative to the roof of the car. I cut my rack down 1 inch so it is shorter than all the other "gutter grabber" racks. I think if I just angle the fairing back a bit, it will look better.

I used 1/8 inch acrylic that I had laying around. Then painted it with Plastidip from home depot. $6 a can. Used 1/2 a can, approx 4 coats.
                      www.BavRest.com
                      My Feedback Thread
                      Our Facebook!
                      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

my rack back in the day

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

carrying bikes carrying surfboards at the SAME DAMN TIME

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Has anyone incorporated a bike or two with a wood rack?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                              Has anyone incorporated a bike or two with a wood rack?

I Have that setup laying around. No pics of it though.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

^ Your wheel looks broke?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X