Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lets get some iX mudflaps made. Who can help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone,

I work at a rubber and plastic injection mold company here in CT. StinkE30, if you send me one of the mudflaps I'll solid model it and we can go from there.

There are many options, just depends on how many we want to do and how much we want to invest. We could make a handful of wood/urethane epoxy molds, mix epoxy, close mold, pour in, heat cure, remove mold. Labor intensive but would do the trick. Let's say a $grand or two in equipment needed. Or, spend some real money on a steel injection mold frame, or rubber compression mold and do hundreds a day, $4k -$8k.

Anyone have a real estimate on how many iX owners would want a set?
    '10 Golf TDi 2dr
    previous:
    '91 325iX coupe
    '86 325e 4dr

Comment

price them at BMW OEM price! Hey where else you going to get them?!
      [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyL View Post
        ....Next thing to figure out is what process would be best to mold them. I'm familiar with injection molding but I think that would be much too expensive for the quantities involved. I'm thinking polyurethane casting might work out but I don't know much about it. Maybe I'll do a little research on that.

Can somebody give me some approximate overall dimensions of the mud flaps so I know what we're working with?
        Agreed, injection molding these would be a waste of money. I had posted an $8k price tag earlier... after talking to my tool maker this week, he said over $20k and suggested finding a 150Ton mold machine.

I'd say solid model > 3d print > reverse urethane (or silicone) to build the mold(s), then pour material and heat cure to make parts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PXy36JCuoU It gets tricky given both sides of the part have features, but doable.
        '10 Golf TDi 2dr
        previous:
        '91 325iX coupe
        '86 325e 4dr

Comment

We Have The Capabilities To Bring These To The Market. If Someone In So Cal Has A Set To Build A Mold Off Of This In So Cal We Can Help. Pm us

Comment

Originally posted by BAlbertiX View Post
            Anyone have a real estimate on how many iX owners would want a set?
            In the low hundreds of sets max I would say. Count me in for a set.
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

From what I understand and have learned there are two different versions of the iX front mudflap. Maybe someone can chime in on this but I know for a fact that there are two different part numbers. I believe this is due to the fact of a revision in the front iX fender flare sometime in the production process. Not sure if the euro iX flare part number carried over to the US 1988MY then was changed sometime after 88 or not. Nor do I have the time at the moment to search realoem for part number information. So this might come into play in making an iX mudflap set that will work for all North American iX cars. Moving on...

I happened to be very lucky after searching for 6 years to find a set of front iX flaps. And randomly found a set new in bag complete with brackets from BMW that have never been opened or used. I couldn't send money any faster to score these things.

I have them now and they stay in the bag as my iX needs all new brake and fuel lines and is in Michigan. I live in Portland.

However I am willing to open up this OEM BMW accessory if it means it will help out some fellow iXers. And I am very willing to get them molded if it means they will get produced and as long as they don't get damaged in the process.

I have been reluctant in posting pictures of these because I don't like to brag and boast...and these may be the last unopened set in the world.

Anyways here you go....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

AWDE30 - amazing find!

I would love to take the lead on solid modeling and specifying a material for these if you don't mind JeremyL? I can send you and Garagistic both a 2d spec and 3d file once they're modeled.
                '10 Golf TDi 2dr
                previous:
                '91 325iX coupe
                '86 325e 4dr

Comment

If JeremyL has the capabilities to mold these and can I would love to have him do it. He is relativity close to me in Vancouver and I would like to avoid the risk of shipping these. If he cannot then I would be willing to explore other options.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDE30 View Post
                    If JeremyL has the capabilities to mold these and can I would love to have him do it. He is relativity close to me in Vancouver and I would like to avoid the risk of shipping these. If he cannot then I would be willing to explore other options.
                    Sounds good, I'm available as needed.
                    '10 Golf TDi 2dr
                    previous:
                    '91 325iX coupe
                    '86 325e 4dr

Comment

AWDE30 - amazing find!

I would love to take the lead on solid modeling and specifying a material for these if you don't mind JeremyL? I can send you and Garagistic both a 2d spec and 3d file once they're modeled.

Let us know what we can do to help.

Comment

So...Who's going to 3D model these NLA NIB front iX flaps?

Originally posted by garagistic View Post
                        Let us know what we can do to help.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDE30 View Post
                          So...Who's going to 3D model these NLA NIB front iX flaps?
                          I will model them, but will need parts shipped to me. I may or may not ship them back. ;)
                          '10 Golf TDi 2dr
                          previous:
                          '91 325iX coupe
                          '86 325e 4dr

Comment

I will model them, but will need parts shipped to me. I may or may not ship them back. ;)
                            Way to build confidence!
                            [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Anyone moving on these?
                              '10 Golf TDi 2dr
                              previous:
                              '91 325iX coupe
                              '86 325e 4dr

Comment

bump. I really hope this ends up happening
                                sigpic

Comment