No announcement yet.

Guide to your OBD2 swap! Diagnostics and logging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the ODBII port, so I bought the Wifi adapter you linked too.
    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
      Stock MAF? O2 sensors plugged in correctly as far as Bank 1/2? Whos tune?

1. Yep stock MAF that came w/ the engine. No MAF codes pulled that I'm aware of.

2. O2 sensors should be on properly - I triple checked all connections before i fired it up for the first time. No O2 sensor codes I'm aware of. That said, I will check the wiring again this weekend as the car was at the exhaust shop for 2 months - they should have only had to touch one of the manifolds but stranger things have happened, right?

3. Yours ;)
      -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
      '95 525iT
      '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
      '98 Disco 1

Comment

1:MAF being wrong/broken usually causes Fuel trim issues, MAF rarely codes.
        2:I mean bank 1 plugged into bank 1 plug and vise versa. Theyre the oppsoite of what you think. Bank 1 plugs into the rear plug and bank 2 plugs into the front plug
        3:Last 7 of VIN on ECU?

:)

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

VIN on the ECU is EY74524.

I will look into the MAF issue and inspect it more closely to see if there's anything out of order there. I know the O2 sensors are goofy with the location of the connectors in relation to the sensors themselves (after reading many threads on the issue here!) - so I made sure they were connected in proper fashion. Still will double check though since the car was at the shop for two months...

Working on finding something Windows based so i can get these logs off my phone at some point....
          -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
          '95 525iT
          '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
          '98 Disco 1

Comment

Thanks for this thread. I got the wifi reader up and running with ODB Fusion, best $30 I've spent so far on this swap. Couple of questions:

1. My temp readings on ODB Fusion shows 240 regardless of what the actual temp gauge in my cluster shows. Car seems to be running at the right temp but I also get a P0116 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Range Performance code. Not sure if this is normal for a swap with the M20 Temp sensor of if the ECU is not communicating the right temp?

2. I have a P0340 CPS circuit error as well, which is triggering my CEL. I think the CPS is actually going bad though. I checked the wiring etc. and I have a new one on the way.

3. The tach on ODB Fusion reads about 300 - 500 RPM higher than the tach in my cluster. I'm S52 swapped with an 8k tach overlay and the M5 coding plug in my cluster. I think my cluster is correct because according to it, the idle is solid at 600 RPM when idling. Not sure how to see which is right?

Note: My ECU has been previously water logged and I only recently got the Tach working by resoldering some connections. Dave, I'll be sending you a fresh non-water damaged ECU for you to tune on Monday.
            Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

You have an OBD2 port wired or are you using the 20 pin? The 20 pin setup may require having the switched power run to it though i dont know why. (pin 6 C101 usually)
              I have the diag adapter and a Bluetooth reader. Doesn't seem to get power. Any more details on what wire needs power?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
              Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

What's used to data log on turbo setups? Does RK or trm send you a logging device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

romraider logger works decently for turbo logs other than boost/wideband AFR. It will log it, I just don't know how to hook it all up so RRlogger will read it.

megalogviewer works pretty well for reading. Took me a while to think to even try.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
                    VIN on the ECU is EY74524.

I will look into the MAF issue and inspect it more closely to see if there's anything out of order there. I know the O2 sensors are goofy with the location of the connectors in relation to the sensors themselves (after reading many threads on the issue here!) - so I made sure they were connected in proper fashion. Still will double check though since the car was at the shop for two months...

Working on finding something Windows based so i can get these logs off my phone at some point....
                    Shoot us an email to tuning@markertmotorworks.com And we can see if we can be of any assistance :) Looks like we did your ECU back in June.

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                    Full Product Line Tuning
                    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Great thread!! Just saw this. I'll be checking back in a few months after the e30's accident is repaired. Very interested in this stuff for both the obd2 e30 s52, and my e36 m52.

And yes dave I still plan on going with your tune after the e30 is back on the road!!!! :D
                      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Shoot us an email to tuning@markertmotorworks.com And we can see if we can be of any assistance :) Looks like we did your ECU back in June.

Thanks Dave - let me try a few more things here before i get you guys on the horn. It appears winter has finally hit Cleveland here so the car's not going anywhere for a bit
                        -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                        '95 525iT
                        '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                        '98 Disco 1

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                          I have the diag adapter and a Bluetooth reader. Doesn't seem to get power. Any more details on what wire needs power?

Any more on what pin needs power?

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                            Any more on what pin needs power?

Originally posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
                            Thanks Dave - let me try a few more things here before i get you guys on the horn. It appears winter has finally hit Cleveland here so the car's not going anywhere for a bit
                            gn/white at diag port needs power.
                            red a diag port needs power.

Check Us out on Facebook
                            Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

gn/white at diag port needs power.
                              red a diag port needs power.
                              Both get +12? Any pin numbers?

Comment

www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm ;)

Check Us out on Facebook
                                Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Working...
                                X