Running an IX without front drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running an IX without front drive shaft

Hi, i'm Francisco from Argentina and i bought an IX a few months ago.

The problem is that it's only RWD and i am willing to fix it.

Car is driving without front drive shaft and driver side axle and it runs fine. I have the drive shaft sitting in my garage with its guibo (ex-owner removed it and stored it)

If the rear wheels have traction what could be the problem? I'm not sure where to start.

could be one day soon. heat is what messes up the transfer cases. not using that shaft it will loose torque to the front and create some heat.

get that shaft back in there.

did you ask the p.o. why he took it out? the spines inside that case look good.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      could be one day soon. heat is what messes up the transfer cases. not using that shaft it will loose torque to the front and create some heat.

get that shaft back in there.

did you ask the p.o. why he took it out? the spines inside that case look good.
      Thanks for your reply.

All i know for now is that the X stopped working and don't know what the p.o did. Going to ask him soon

Comment

Get the driveshaft AND the axle back in.

From numerous anecdotes on this forum, driving without the shaft, even for thousands of miles, doesn't seem to hurt the VC. If the car still moves without the driveshaft, your VC is fine.

Comment

From numerous anecdotes on this forum, driving without the shaft, even for thousands of miles, doesn't seem to hurt the VC. If the car still moves without the driveshaft, your VC is fine.

Comment

^^^

My front driveshaft has been removed for a few thousand miles because of noise due to a loose transfer case chain. It drives just fine, although I "granny" drive it to preserve the viscous coupling.

In a perfect world replacement chains would be available and affordable and I could stop living on the edge.

The E30 collection:
            1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
            1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
            1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
            1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
            1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
            1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
            1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
            2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
            2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

I'll first talk to the previous previos previous owner and ask him what he did.
              I also have a reformed drive shaft with no u-joints. I don't know wtf has been done.
              May try rebuilding VC and connecting all back together to see what happens.

Originally posted by 101 View Post
              ^^^

My front driveshaft has been removed for a few thousand miles because of noise due to a loose transfer case chain. It drives just fine, although I "granny" drive it to preserve the viscous coupling.

In a perfect world replacement chains would be available and affordable and I could stop living on the edge.
              Front driveshaft has been removed quite a long ago and the car runs great. I have a little grinding at low revs but i can't track the source.
              I don't granny-drive it. Not even a bit ;)

Comment

Sorry for the double-post.
                Here is my situation. Today i jacked up the car to see the splines on the transfer case and they are ~ 18mm destroyed (like in the front drive shaft).
                The problem is this: i put the car in 1st gear with all the wheels in the air and the transfer case output starts spinning (rear wheels too). This situation makes me think that:
                1) Chain is there and is OK (no grinding or anything)
                2) Viscous Coupling IS OK?!

I think i assume that the viscous coupling is doing its job by letting the transfer case spin, cause the rear wheels have no traction.

I am still with my front drive shaft disconnected and with my front right axle disconnected too (i don't have this)

Next step is to extend the drive shaft splines and test if it does its job.

Hope you can help me with this. I don't know if VC is ok or is dead.

Thanks!

Comment

If your car is moving with all wheels down, the VC is OK. Repair of the driveshaft splines and reinstallation of the driveshaft and missing front axle will be your next step to do any further diagnosis.

The fact that the both transfer case outputs are turning won't tell you much when there's no load on them.

I know of no way of testing the slack in the transfer case chain. You can inspect the front differential by removing the lower cover to see if there's any obvious metal or other issues there.
                  Last edited by 101; 06-21-2017, 07:23 AM. Reason: corrected post

The E30 collection:

Comment

Don't drive the car without the front axle in place. You will destroy the bearing and the wheel could come off while driving.
                    The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

If your car is moving with all wheels down, the VC is OK. Repair of the driveshaft splines and reinstallation of the driveshaft and missing front axle will be your next step to do any further diagnosis.

Inside the transfer case the front wheels have a mechanical linkage (chain). The rear wheels use the viscous coupling. The fact that the both transfer case outputs are turning won't tell you much when there's no load on them.

I know of no way of testing the slack in the transfer case chain. You can inspect the front differential by removing the lower cover to see if there's any obvious metal or other issues there.
                      This thing is gonna drive me crazy. That's the next thing to do so i'll have full diagnosis about the vc.

Originally posted by wodcutr View Post
                      Don't drive the car without the front axle in place. You will destroy the bearing and the wheel could come off while driving.
                      I've got the outer and inner cv joint connected so that will not be a problem.
                      Thanks for the advice by the way.

Comment

There is no way to "repair" the transfer case splines except by splitting the T-case and installing a new front output sprocket.

You can snag one of the driveshaft repair fittings here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=276152

BUT: once you weld the fitting into the driveshaft, you have to drop the diff or T-case to install/remove the shaft.

The rear wheels use the viscous coupling.
                        Lol Wut?

Comment

There is no way to "repair" the transfer case splines except by splitting the T-case and installing a new front output sprocket.

You can snag one of the driveshaft repair fittings here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=276152

BUT: once you weld the fitting into the driveshaft, you have to drop the diff or T-case to install/remove the shaft.

Lol Wut?
                          Yep, but once i extend the driveshaft splines i get ~32 mm of extra contact surface that the output never used.

Comment

Lol Wut?

My bad. I was thinking the front output was a mechanical connection to the input shaft using the chain. I stand corrected.

The E30 collection:

Comment

Working...
                            X