Cooling troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling troubles

What's everyone using for thermostat and cooling fan temp sensor (in radiator) setups?

My s50 has, what I believe to be, the stock thermostat, and the stock e30 temp sensor for the electric fan. It runs a bit hot above 75 degrees ambient - a needle or two's width hot side from center. If stopped, it will rise to 3/4 hot before the e-fan bothers to turn on. I wired up a manual switch temporarily to fix that problem, but I want the system to work properly by itself.

I was planning on getting a 71 degree thermostat, and pairing with the e36 temp sensor. I can't seem to find at what temp the e36 sensor activates on though, so I want to make sure it's a good fit. I have one in my turbo car I might just try swapping over. For context, the car sees NY weather typically in the 70's and 80's, and is auto-x'd.

80C thermostat and 82C fan switch for me. 71 degree thermostat wouldnt be good. Stock E36 thermostat is 88 degrees C.

Comment

Yeah there was an 80C thermostat in there when I took it out. I threw in one from an auto store to try and get me going again since I wasn't getting any coolant movement, and now it's running hot all the time (between 1/2 and 3/4 hot). I'm going to bleed some more, and hopefully that'll help, but it may just be too hot of a tstat. Hopefully I can get it decent enough to use while I wait for a new, cooler tstat

Comment

Originally posted by HertE30 View Post
        80C thermostat and 82C fan switch for me. 71 degree thermostat wouldnt be good. Stock E36 thermostat is 88 degrees C.
        Do you happen to know the part # for 82C fan switch?

Comment

I'm using an 80* thermostat, the 318ti switch (I forget the temp), an M42 radiator, Stewart water pump and am using a bottle of Water Wetter in the system. For a fan I'm using a 16" SPAL pusher fan. Keeps it perfectly cool in stop and go traffic in 100* heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mushroom Stew View Post
            Do you happen to know the part # for 82C fan switch?
            61-31-1-364-272-82 FAE

check this thread

Comment

Working...
            X