Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

r3v SChool me on AC

I dont know shit about AC.

My compressor is leaking and After 25 years i think it did a damn good job.
    Anyway ive decided i am gonna replace the thing with a OEM behr again.

I just bought a new Dryer,but was wondering what else should i replace while it has no freon in it?

Didn't they go over this in the Automotive Classes you took when you became a wrench?

Evaporator, condenser, orifice tube, expansion valve, compressor, and receiver dryer. You can leave the evaporator, the condenser and the lines, but at minimum, the other stuff should be replaced, and proper seals/ports for r134a will also be required, along with the proper amount of compressor oil.

Comment

^yeah But that was over 6 years ago.
      I have never had the chance to do anything Ac related.

I ended up getting a GM R12 To r134a conversion port. $1.67 and i charged it at work.
      well It worked, so now i have cold AC.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the two have different molecule sizes? I was under the impression that they weren't compatible coolants and would require at a minimum new seals/ports?
        sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

R134 may leak out due to molecule size (R134 is smaller) but if it works....why not run it til you need to change something, lol.

Comment

Usually you can get away with just switching the ports. Like gkurey said, run it until it leaks out. Once it becomes a big enough leak, then deal with the o-rings, etc.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Typically, due to the mineral oil used in R12 systems, that coats the old lines and o-rings, conversion isn't necessary, though any part changed out should use barrier hoses, since new R12 style hoses will leak R134a like a sieve.

Comment

So today all my cold air is gone,its back to normal and there is dye all over the ports,

I also noted that my Compressor was making a lot of noise today. Its also pissing oil as long as ive owned the car.

Anyone know if this will fit my car?

Comment

Working...
                X