Senior Year Project 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Senior Year Project 318is

First, a little about me. I’m a senior in high school, graduating in 2014, and I’ve loved car since before I can remember. When I first got my license, I inherited my grandma’s ’96 v6 Honda Accord and I loved it till the day I wrecked it snow “drifting.” After that I began driving my mom’s MK6 Volkswagen GLI, but its so boring compared to my aunt’s e46. So during the summer before my senior year I decided to start looking for an E30. I found a couple early model e30’s with diving boards for $500 and $600, but was out bid. Finally, in early October I bought a 1991 318is with a blown head gasket for $900. I traveled two hours on a Thursday night to pick up the car in the pouring rain, in the middle of no where at 11pm… I know, not the best decision, but I had to have it. As soon as I got it home I began to strip the interior and here I am now. I need to get the head gasket fixed, but I don’t have enough money saved yet.

RIP honda

Daily Driver

Project 318is

I don’t really have a budget in mind, so I’ll probably just end up spending all my available money on this.

Running Total Cost:
    Car: $900
    Massive dead pedal: $75
    OEM accelerator pedal: $18
    Total: $993

Plans:
    Fix head gasket...
    Stripped interior
    Race Seats
    Wood Steering wheel
    Coilovers
    BBS
    M50 or electric conversion?
    roll cage?
    paint respray?

You've piqued my interest. It sounds like we're in very similar situations. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Comment

Body looks good besides the front valance, of course. Lets see the engine bay!

Comment

Fix things before you spend $ on bling...

Comment

sorry for the bad pic. engine has a blown head gasket and probably needs a new cooling system. also a little dirty...

Comment

Dude, electric!

Comment

How do you figure the mk6 gli as boring. It's my daily also and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish I had gotten into cars at an earlier age. Good start, now prepare yourself to spend every last dollar and ounce of spare time on your car.
                91 318is M50 swapped
                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by aberg83 View Post
                  How do you figure the mk6 gli as boring. It's my daily also and I love it!

well my GLI is an auto, so theres that. And its just not as fun as similarly priced new and used RWD cars. You can get a new FRS/BRZ or an e46 m3 for about the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew L View Post
                    well my GLI is an auto, so theres that. And its just not as fun as similarly priced new and used RWD cars. You can get a new FRS/BRZ or an e46 m3 for about the same price.
                    Fair enough but when your daily needs to be driven in Canadian winters, RWD doesn't cut it. My GLI is stick which I agree is an important factor.

Comment

Working...
                    X