Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is pretty inspiring, I enjoyed this

Comment

Was searching some stuff and came across this thread. It deserves a bump. Great stuff.

M42 turbo build.
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

Love it, you've pretty much got my dream car.

^ great bump up above.

PS OP if you're still around what tire size do you have on those LSs? Car looks fantastically agressive, classy, and fun.
        Originally posted by z31maniac
        I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Well hello everyone. Hope all is well on R3v. It been over a year since I've posted. Let's change that.

The e30 gods have not been kind in 2013. This broke, that snapped, blah blah blah. If something can go wrong with a car, over the past nine years it has with this one. I don't really understand why my e30 breaks all the time, but I've come to accept it. This car was never meant for driving, it was meant for fixing. The worst of the problems this year came when the front subframe motor mounts cracked and my engine dumped down on a 695 onramp. I also blew a coolant line at a Porsche autocross, mysteriously lost some LSD lugs, my windows and sunroof are hesitant to go up & down, my guibo gave out, and my wheel bearing replacement experience was a living 3-week nightmare. She's been on jackstands for the majority of the year actually. Same with Gus's.

... But that's the deal I have with Pam. I get to drive the piss out of a spirited, gorgeous, 80's sports car 24/7 until she breaks. When she does, and she will, I have to fix it. I don't have the option to sell it. I don't have the option to trade it. This car is my responsibility to drive until it is no longer able to drive. Till frame-tweak due us part.

video

I had the chance to buy a friend's e30 this year, which turned out to be a very fulfilling project. I had wanted to buy it eight years ago and was denied. It made no sense for me to get another e30, but I had to. I made no money on it, it was simply a satisfying adventure to give that near-300k mile e30 some care after years of neglect. I sold it two months after buying it.

It was cool having a stock e30 and a highly modified one at the same time. But I much prefer to be behind the wheel of the red one. If that car is running, I drive it every day. Kinda like a daily driver without all that reliability or comfort nonsense.

video

Summit Point is definitely one of my favorite places in the world. I would definitely suggest to anyone interested in racing to go to Summit Point Karting. Do an event or just go for the day, either way, just go! Richard and I have been addicted for two years now. Weekend races are great to go with friends, and for those who want to compete, the 500mile+ endurance races are very intense.

Special thanks to Garrett @ NorthWest BMW parts. He's saved my ass a few times with this project, as well as Richard & Gus's. Great guy (and helicopter pilot!) who we're proud to call a friend.

There's been a broken red 3 series in the garage almost every day this year.

Subframe bolt cracked off inside the frame. That was fun.

I temporarily owned a popular BFc member's e34 wagon. Gus, who also owns the other red e30 in this thread, bought it.

Probably the highlight for the year was doing my first drag event. I was a complete fish outta water. Lost to every car and pickup truck I went against, but had a great time in the dust. I simply focused on improving my reaction times and shifting as accurately as possible. Having a relatively similar car to dogfight against would have been enjoyable, but seeing the ass end of a 1200hp Dodge Ram diesel wasnt bad either. Everyone there was super friendly and accommodating to my rookie participation. I can't wait to go back.

Best time: 15.3sec @89.99mph w/ .219 reaction speed.

This car's purpose is to be driven. It will never be a garage queen.

I love this car not because I want to own a classic 3 series my whole life, but because I want to spend my whole life driving enthusiastically. This e30 is an excellent tool for accomplishing that life goal. The car itself is an expensive pain in the ass, but what it makes me feel is priceless. You do bring up a completely valid and interesting complex though that's developed over the years... now that the car means so much to me, do I keep driving it or do I preserve it? Since I drive it so much, and for the past nine years, it's become apart of many of my life's stories. It's regularly a character in my memory scenes. I like that, and I feel very connected to it. Should I keep it tucked away to preserve that history? I've decided not to. I subscribe to the cycle of life. Birth, maturation, peak, decline, & death. No sense in denying that inevitable fact of life. When this thing gets totaled by some dingbat texting or my penchant for kicking the back end out, it'll be part of that inevitable story. It'll give closure. And I'm ok with that.

For now, the Miller MAF has failed and the car's not running. Surprise. I've also been burning oil like the Gulf War over here. Richard confirmed the diagnosis and now the head needs to be refinished. But first we're going to fix this MAF problem and have the engine running properly before we take it apart.

Comment

Working...
          X