Driveshaft compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft compatibility

Guys, will either the front or rear drive shaft sections from a automatic 87 es mate up to the opposite section of a manual 86 es? Or are both sections of different lengths?
    sigpic

Are you saying you want to put two different drivelines together? If so it would have to be rebalended because the two pieces of the drive shaft are balenced from the factory. I would assume it's not worth it to try and Frankenstein something.

Comment

Originally posted by CalE30 View Post
      Are you saying you want to put two different drivelines together? If so it would have to be rebalended because the two pieces of the drive shaft are balenced from the factory. I would assume it's not worth it to try and Frankenstein something.

This is not true. Each half is balanced independently. All e30 rear sections are the same and yes, you can mismatch them. I have been for a very long time.

I believe this misconception came about because people are trying to line up the white tick marks, but in reality all you have to do is make sure the universals are lined up the same way as in the pic here on realoem...

Same goes for a drive shaft that has lost the tick marks, just line up the yokes and it will be fine. Often times a driveline vibration is when one tries to get the tick mark perfect and are one tooth off on the splines.

EDIT:

Originally posted by long tall eta View Post
      Guys, will either the front or rear drive shaft sections from a automatic 87 es mate up to the opposite section of a manual 86 es? Or are both sections of different lengths?
      Yes. And to add, you can use ANY rear section. Auto, manual, 318, 325i, 325e. Front sections will have to match your transmission as the 318i is longer and autos are shorter than 325, and some 325e's use the large giubo.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        This is not true. Each half is balanced independently. All e30 rear sections are the same and yes, you can mismatch them. I have been for a very long time.

I believe this misconception came about because people are trying to line up the white tick marks, but in reality all you have to do is make sure the universals are lined up the same way as in the pic here on realoem...

Same goes for a drive shaft that has lost the tick marks, just line up the yokes and it will be fine. Often times a driveline vibration is when one tries to get the tick mark perfect and are one tooth off on the splines.

EDIT:

Yes. And to add, you can use ANY rear section. Auto, manual, 318, 325i, 325e. Front sections will have to match your transmission as the 318i is longer and autos are shorter than 325, and some 325e's use the large giubo.
        thank you, that's what i wanted to know. i think my ds is starting to give up the ghost and i have a good one from an auto and another from a manual. i wanna take them to a drive line shop and have them mate the best front piece to the best rear piece and balance. just wanted to know where the auto shaft was compatible.
        sigpic

Comment

"Most" driveshaft shops won't touch three prong shafts for balance/refurbish, but will help you select the best universals. The joints are crimped in (domestic use spring clips), so they will doubtfully replace the universals, either. You can easily do this yourself, just move the joints around and pick the ones with the least "notchy" feels in them, or lateral (sideways) play. Line them up as the pic I linked to, and all will be well. While you are at it, replace the rubber under the coupler and in the tip of the drive shaft as they are cheap parts and easy to get to now.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            You learn something new everyday, I jumped through hoops trying to find a driveshaft for my s52 swap, since I was going from auto to manual. Ended up using an early model E with the big guibo.....BUT if I only knew this, I could have saved a lot of time and headache by using what I had laying around already and avoiding sourcing the E driveshaft I have now.

Thanks!!
            555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
            '95 BMW e34 525i
            '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
            '92 Range Rover Classic
            '90 Range Rover Classic
            '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
            '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
            '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
            '67 Pontiac LeMans
            '24 Model T Depot Hack
            ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Working...
            X