Pino's E30 Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pino's E30 Story

I've wanted to write this out for years, but I just never knew how to.... here's my attempt....

These two red e30s have made for some of the worst and best memories of my life. To a substantial degree, they define me due to the countless weekend wrenchings, projects, detailings, receipts, roadtrips, races, and daily commutes. It's brought together a lot of people and connections in my life that I'm very thankful for as well. So before I start, thanks to my parents, Richard, George @ RAI Motorsports, Vernon, Mckee, Manocheh, Don @ Blue Ridge Sports Cars, Fitzgerald, Sam, Andy, and all the supportive BMWCCA NCC Autox guys like Raphael, Bogdan, James, Thayer, Adam, Eric, Pete and everyone else who's made this project what it is.

My BMW story started back in 2003, my sophomore year in highschool. Technically my first car was a mint condition beige Chevy Malibu I had inherited from my late 70+ year old aunt, but I was given the green light to sell it for a car that suited me better. Not to be ungrateful or anything, but I had been planning that first car purchase from day one. My first word was bus, second was car. And since then cars have been my driving passion in life. I couldnt handle something as a rubbermolded as that bloated Malibu, bless Aunt Bud's heart. So after a quick sale, I got into a higher mileage 1997 E36 M3 Sedan. And so the addiction began. Here's me driving with my buddy Sam, who oddly enough pops up a lot throughout this.

That car never failed me once, ran exceedingly well, never got me in one ticket or accident, taught me how to drive and autocross, and was everything I wanted in a car for almost two years. Never should have sold her. But I did. I was leaving to college where I couldnt drive and instead of letting her rot in my family's garage under insurance, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to buy an older and cheaper BMW to learn mechanics with; a car I wouldnt be to intimidated to tear apart work on. I dont necessarily agree with that mindset anymore, especially since the e36 and e30 are so similar, but nevertheless that was the idea. It wasnt long until I fell in love with a recently posted e30 over on R3vlimited. I couldnt have asked for a more perfect example of what I was looking for.

Here's a screenshot from the owner's website. The minimized tabs say it all. I was writing my college essay, talking to e30-famed member Bokes, and illegally downloading the latest music on Limewire haha

That post was the single most influential mouseclick of my life. Within the same day of finding the ad, I was on the phone with the owner, Mr. Whitney. Very nice family man, an engineer, and from what I can gather a well respected member of the local Raleigh BMW and racing scenes. I told him I wanted it, discussed trip plans, and apparently I edged out 4 other people willing to fly in and even pay more. It was the summer before my senior year in highschool when I flew down with my mom to pick it up. I'll never forget this purchase, even down to the weirdest details like the inside of his house, garage, other cars, conversation, appearance, family, etc. It was obvious the car meant a lot to him. He named her Roxanne after that Sting song, but after many years of service and experience, it was time for him to move on and focus his attention to building up his newly purchased artic e36 m3. He had dozens of races under his belt, a magazine feature, and meticulously maintained her. Kinda weird that I sold my e36m3 to get an e30 325iS and he did just the opposite.

Meet Roxanne

I drove her back 7 hours to Baltimore on hoosier racing slicks on the cruise of my life. It was everything my e36 wasnt. It was impractical, unique, loud, flashy, small, kinda harsh, and I loved every second of it. It tested me as a driver ya know? It required constant communication and demanded my awareness. What could a car junkie want more? After the 7 hour drive, I dropped my mom off, went to Sam's house, and we drove the 3 hours straight to Ocean City MD all on my old M3's tags. We thought we were screwed when we pulled up at a DUI checkpoint. Two highschoolers locked into a loud red BMW with blue racing harnesses at 2am on an isolated road. He had to check the plates, no? All the cops did was laugh and asked us how he can put them in his pickup truck. I was young, rev-happy, and hooked on the e30's spell. I spent a few days with my buddies down there enjoying the new car. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and I got comments whereever I went, occasionally ripping down the famed Avenue. I managed to make it back home on a race to beat the rain as my Hoosier slicks were almost toast by this point. In 72 hours I had driven almost 900 glorious miles on them.

Ocean City

Hunting corners in backcountry Maryland

So two weeks later instead of taking the M3, my next autocross would be in the new e30. This is what owning an e30 is all about, right? By this time I had about 8 autocrosses and two seasons under my belt with the BMWCCA. My parents had been signing me in since I was 15 with the M3 and by this age I had a solid amount of confidence. The course was in a Manassas VA highschool littered with lightpoles. I remember walking the course with a few of the guys and one organizing member warning about a particular turn prone to understeer, directly before a pole. For the first couple laps, the difference between my two cars was astounding. Needless to say, I much preferred the e30. Sam came to the autocross for his second time and was my passenger for the first couple laps. The last one I'd thankfully do solo. And that last lap would change me forever. It was the last turn of the last lap actually. The day prior I had replaced my hoosiers with brand new Toyos, not broken in yet with maybe 60miles on them. Going from racing to street tires changed the dynamic I had grown accustomed to entirely. I wasnt as in-tune with it and it certainly wasnt as planted to the pavement. Not a big deal though until that turn. I understeered like a pig, directly into the forewarned pole. There was a coneworker on that pole. I remember him anticipating the issue and preemptively moving into the clearing instead of behind the pole. I certainly cant blame him, it's human nature to move when you see a car coming. My focus was split on what to do, both directions screwed me, it all went very fast, and I ended up grazing the pole. The coneworker moved away and thankfully wasnt harmed. The car would be fine too, had the wheel not been turned out. I hit the pole with my tire, kicking it into the floorpan at 5-10 mph. I had some scuffing on the fender, messed up wheel, revenged the floorpan, and bent the corner of the valance, but that was it. The hood and front bumper was still straight. The door was fine. All the mechanics were fine.

That accident has been burned into my brain ever since. I'll never live it down. The single most humbling and heart breaking jolt of my life, all before the entire CCA community to see. I would later find out the impact was juuusssst enough to tweak the frame. rendering the car undriveable. Totaled. And I only had it for TWO WEEKS! The frame was the only part I couldnt replace, despite going to the areas top frame restorer. That's the reason I'll never forget my short experience with that car. I've replayed the situation in my head a thousand times. What I could have done differently and, oddly enough, what I did to the previous owner's pride and joy. I felt like I killed a living entity. As awesome as the car was, and as much as I legally owned, it, I still thought of it as Mr. Whitney's Roxanne. I would later see a pretty cool philosophy in the car documentary The Beast on why I was so quick to total it - I wasnt the one attached to her. I didnt build the car, I didnt truly know the car, I was driving someone else's car. Which means I totaled someone else's car. And that devastated me. I refused to let go of that rush too, that thrill of ripping around in a loud red e30. And as weird as it may sound, I had to do justice by Mr. Whitney. He trusted me with his baby and I fucked that up. I had to rebuild her no matter how long it took, no matter how monstrous of a pain in the ass it'd be. After all, all her internals worked, I just needed a compatible 325i e30 shell. How hard could it really be?!

I've always thought about how I'd tell Mr. Whitney. Never did. I have our original emails, I even still have his number. One day I'll send him this thread.

Here's what things looked like after I took off the bumpers, lights, etc to inspect the damage. Surprisingly little.

And this is where my amazing friends and family come into play. All in all, it was two years until I got to drive the car again. For those two years I drove my parents' cars, walked 3miles home from school every day, and relied on a wonderfully supportive base of friends to help me rebuild her. After all, I bought the car to learn mechanics. I had never even changed oil before. And I was about to jump headfirst into a full-body-transplant.... again, with huge help from my friends and family. Couldnt have done it alone. But first I had to find a clean e30 shell. That part would turn out to be far more difficult than I anticipated. It took months before I was out of my slump and looking at e30s again though. And when that time came, everything was garbage. Just trash. Misrepresented rust buckets, and even one guy that showed up drunk at midnight with his high girlfriend trying to sell me a 200k mile junker 325 for $4k. No thanks. And then I find the one. Not the color I was hoping for, but I was desperate to get jumping on the project.

Here are the previous owners's ad pics...

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Automatic w/ 110kmiles, largely owned by old lady who painted her name, Pam, above the pinstriping. Apparently the story was that the original owner was dying of cancer and her friends got her name painted in the door of her favorite car in support. As sentimental and cute as that was, I didnt want to drive around with that. However in retrospect I wish I had kept it. It wasnt THAT big. But yeah eventually I took it off. You can sorta make it out in a couple shots above the pinstripe, halfway point of the door.

Dealing with the shortterm owner after Pam was a pain. Sam was the only one willing to drive the 4+ hours to Pittsburgh to help me check it out . He knew what the project meant to me and was happy to help out. I appreciated that. Most of my friends just made fun of the project ideas and the crash. But that's highschool for ya. When we showed up, the e30 was at a garage parkinglot, not his house like he implied, and he forgot the key so I couldnt drive it or get in. I couldnt even buy it if I wanted to. What an idiot. I liked the car though, it was better than the dozen or so I'd seen over the course of months. I told him I wanted it. He actually backed out on me though and decided to keep the car. 3 months later, and oddly enough while on the way to have dinner with bfc's Ben Careful who was in town, this clown calls me up saying it's time to make a deal. That week he trailed the car to my driveway and I jumped right in. It was far more mechanically shot than he had advertized. It didnt matter too much though since I'd be taking everything out to sell. First and foremost, I had to do a thorough detailing. By that time I had been detailing for a couple summers as a sidejob. My summerjob was actually as a salesman for the local Porsche & Audi dealership.

The first detail allowed me to appreciate the differences between Zinnoberrot & Brilliantrot. The new brilliantrot body was definitely more inyourface bright red. And, if I'm honest, it's my least favorite shade of red that BMW offers. What I woulda done for a Hennarot.... anywho, because of the iron containment in the color red, it's the quickest to fade under the sun's oxidation. The new shell only had some expected fade on the roof and everything else buffed out just great. Love it or hate it, there really arent too many cars painted in this shade of red nowa' days. So yeah, I finally found a clean body worthy of rebuilding the project. Mission accomplished.

Mandatory before shots

Partway through a 12hour detail session:

By this point, I was starting at George Washington University. Funny story, I got the idea to join after going to local BFc meet's at Preppy (Chris) the BFc moderator's house. Preppy even wrote me my college letter of recommendation haha So since I didnt have the drive the car, I could get right into the heart transplant. The idea was to recreate my old e30 exactly.

Dorm Room:

The two e30's, Roxanne & Pam, sat face to face for months. I had two red e30s, yet my friends would still have to pick me up to hang out haha

The single biggest hickup turned nightmare was the transmission swap. I had no idea what I was doing. There's a bunch of slight differences between 1989 and 1990 that I didnt expect that really complicated things. It went to Brant Campbell. Former BMW master tech and trusted mechanic of many of my friends. It took a lot of dollars and many months disturbingly enough, but he managed to make everything in the engine/transmission compliant. Brant's a great guy and really made up for my mistakes throughout the way.

Good heart for transplant:

Bad heart removal:

Off to Brant for the old motor/trans to be put in the new shell:

And probably 6 months later I had Roxanne's heart back in Pam and running :) There were still a lot of issues to take care of and things to swap over. Brakes, suspension, and a million little things like the reverse lights and hood latch not working. But I didnt care. I drove that thing into the ground for the next two days, loving life. I only had those couple days with her until I had to go back for classes. Coincidentally, my good friend blew up the s54 in his m3 that same week. He sent his car off to Brant as well for a completely new S54, leaving him carless. I told him to grab the e30 since I was away. Well believe it or not, I only drove my baby for a few days before my friend totaled it. He smashed into the back of a jeep. What luck, right? The whole two year fiasco coulda been for nothing. Scott's first and only autocross that he ever attended was actually the one I crashed at and I didn't even know him back then. Fast forward 2 years later and we had become good friends. He knew how much that car meant to me and was very accommodating. Scott was great about fixing her and paid for a great shop to fix everything, coming out to roughly $5k and a month of time. I was beginning to think I had a curse or something. Why did things always have to go wrong?! Whatever. I tried to look at the bright side, so I guess it was cool that I got a new hood, some paint, and lights outta the deal. I never saw the damage, I was away at school. This was the e30 I came back to...

But get this shit... I kid you not.... two days after picking my car up from the body shop and after those pics above, a family of deer jumped out on a backroad and I hit the ***, crushing the front end in almost the exact same damage as the jeep. I brought it back to the shop, Jeff Shaw's Collision Craft in Baltimore, and they couldnt believe it. They swore they fixed the car. Well they had to do it again. I was too deeply attached to the project at this point and had to eat the bill. I couldnt pay as much, so I had to source a couple of my own parts, and I have a feeling thats why I was treated so poorly my second time around with Jeff. It was a headache and a half over the course of 3 months and numerous stupid mistakes. I only go back there now if I need a skyhigh estimate cost for an insurance repair quote. But thats behind me now.... and I had the car back once more... I never took pictures of the damage. But the hood was rolled in, headlights destroyed, radiator, etc. The bumper and everything south of it was OK. Here's after she got repaired....

I had sold the rare 15x8 Kosei K1's and picked up a sweet set of 15x7 Ronal LS's. Interestingly enough, the same kind of wheels the previous owner of Roxanne also used. Basketweaves define the european 80's scene to me, nothing looks better.

But that suspension just had to go... luckily my entire ground control coilover / camber plate setup was intact from the accident. This would be my first experience in suspension work. It took me all night, literally, but I got it done. It felt amazing seeing that before & after result. That kind of instant feedback and reward for my effort was so fulfilling. And most importantly, it made me understand and connect with the car on a level you just dont grasp if you only live behind the steering wheel. The car was beginning to feel more like mine, rather than Whitney's former project. Oh, and see the camo Bronco in the background of the first picture? My buddy gave it to me shortly after he crashed the e30. I loved that thing. Never shoulda sold it. It went on to an old school BFc member, Potomac.

Yes.

Now on to the interior. It was pretty clean at its core, just needed some shampooing.

About an hour later this is what I got. I also put in some Redline leather boots with M stitching along with that massive UUC knob. The leather outta the doner car was perfect.

By this point, this is what my enginebay looked like after a nice scrubbing.

Comment

This was the moment it all really came together for me. This shoot. She wasnt perfect, but I pretty much recreated my e30 dreams. I sold off the cage to help fund the project and decided to not use the 3" straightpipe exhaust. I needed to pass inspection. I went with stock cats and the Ireland Engineering exhaust for around $325 from Patrick at BMA Parts. Good dude. And I'm still more than happy with the exhaust itself. It's an excellent combination of price, quality, sound, weight, and aesthetics.

The Stats:
      Changed:
      Complete Engine Rebuild ~25k miles ago by PO of my previous e30 that was swapped into here
      Leather Sport Interior
      Automatic to Manual Swap w/ all new mounting, seals, etc
      Ronal LS 15x7.5
      Toyo T1-R 225
      Euro Trim & Grills
      Removed AC & Trunk Tar
      GC Adjustable spring perches
      Eibach race springs 600f/4500r
      GC front adjustable caster/camber plates
      GC solid rear shock mounts
      Koni sport single-adjustable [rebound] shocks
      K-Mac poly urethane rear trailing arm bushings
      New OE Radiator
      All new hoses
      All new belts
      New Control Arms
      New Tie Rod Assembly
      New LSD Seals
      Treehouse Racing Control Arm Mounts [w/ Solid Bushings]
      New OE Catalytic Converter
      Ireland Engineering SS Exhaust
      Sparco steel front strut brace
      Goodridge SS brake lines
      Brembo solid rotors
      MOMO Competition Wheel
      Weighted ZHP Knob
      4.10 LSD
      Custom Italian leather boots w/ M color stitching
      Blaupunkt headunit
      Valentine V1 w/ POP radar
      Viper Alarm System w/ Remote Start [so stupid haha]

Roxanne, the original e30, a week after I bought her:

Two years later, let me reintroduce Pam, sitting in the same parking spot:

I drove this thing everywhere I could and loved every second, changing little things along the way.

Next to the minty 190E I picked up for the family from BFc member 95///m3

The next step in my project wasnt necessarily a mod, but was a huge step for me. I had to get back in the autocross game. It had been a little over two years since I had crashed, and I was dying to get out there. I hadnt even posted on Bimmerforums for those two years. I completely ostracized myself after that accident until I rebuilt her. So this autocross meant a lot to me. I'm not gunna lie, it was very nerve racking doing my first lap or so, but by the end I was zoned in. The rush was amazing, but being able to relax about the past was even better. I could finally move on from the accident. Many of the local NCCers who remembered me came up to say hi and see how I was doing. They asked if I was driving the same e30. I was proud to tell them my rebuild story.

Comment

Eventually the time came for me to part with Roxanne, the original Zinno e30. The transformation had been made. I had to move on. I took what I could and sold the rest off, including the bad m20 and auto trans out of the shell car. These pictures would be the last I'd ever see of her. Every time I go to a junkyard I think maybe, just maaaaybeeeee, i'll see the red skeleton of my old friend again. Never have though.

Back to the Frankenstein rebuild project. My next step was to work on the headlights. I had already destroyed one set of Euros due to the deer, and I needed to get my HID fix once more. These USA sealed beam e30 lights are downright dangerous. I picked up euro smilies off the boards and my buddy Richard helped me put in the 6000k Apex Cone kit. He's constantly helping me w electrical work especially. I'm no bueno with that. Richard's always had an older bmw that he's been working on ever since we first met in highschool. He was at the autocross I crashed at as well oddly enough. He's always been there for the e30 project when I needed him. Smoked lense covers on the fogs and highbeams were added as well for some contrast.

Back and completely addicted to the autocrosses. It was this year that I became an instructor for their Autocross schools, and for the Street Survival Driving Program. A lot of people remembered my mistake, but I guess they respected that I came back and put the effort into becoming a better driver.

Each time I'd be back from school on summer or break, I was either fixing or modifying something with my friends. The car brought us all back together again. Guys I usually wouldnt see would be more than happy to stop by my garage and help out and that meant a lot to me. So little things like steering wheels, shifter seals, alternator, etc were constantly being swapped around. I guess that's a nice way of saying she always broken haha Eventually even some 3000k HIDs in the fogs

Someone caught the only known video of my e30 at Summit Point a while back. Here you can see my broken brake pedal/light switch.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Things had more or less slowed down between 2008-2010 with the exception of a couple major improvements... the interior and brakes. Someone on BFc posted up that he had just bought a 1985 318i with the rare houndstooth cloth sport interior. My favorite. Its cooler in the heat, warmer in the cold, grips better, looks better, and is far more unique. The poster had lots and lots of attention, and said whoever could write him the best story on why they should get the interior will win the right to buy it. The winner would buy him some corbeau fixedbacks totaling $420. This was too easy. I busted out two or so pages of a story on Word and sent it. I won. Sold my perfect black leather set for $600. A few weeks later, I drove the Corbeaus to Long Island NY and swapped for this mint condition set. Apparently in 1985 when the e30 first came to the states, each dealership in the US was given one set of houndstooth sport interiors for showcase. This was one of those sets, dated 1984 on the rear bench.

I'd be away at school for the snow months, but every once and a while I'd tear it out for some slides & donuts

Also ran the Miller MAF and KAmotors CAI. If you've got an m20 in need of an intake, look this e30 guy up. He makes a newer CF intake that looks great.

I also hit a bit of a sticker phase haha Through friends and connections, I assembled a pretty impressive collection of local law enforcement agencies. I only ran this for about a year. I didnt like the attention or association to law enforcement. It's kinda a douchey display honestly. Got a lot of mean looks and scoffs. One day someone loosened the lug nuts directly below all my stickers and my wheel almost flew off around a turn. I was holding on by 2 thread rotations of ONE lug left on the wheel. It was the only thing keeping both myself and Sam (from earlier in the story) safe. That was the first time in years that Sam had been back in the e30, and I dont think he's been back in it since. Cant blame him haha Neither can I prove the two situations are related, but since then, I dont run cop stickers, and I almost always run with wheel covers to protect the lugs.

Comment

I've got hundreds of pictures from around this time, all telling the same story. Mechanically she stayed almost unchanged, though I'd tweak little things here and there like the front lip, intakes, this and that. The curse of course continued when I, for the first time ever, handed the keys over to a valet at the historic Homestead Hotel. He smashed the hood on someones tow hitch and didnt tell me. I even commented to my friends as I got the keys that the valet was acting super suspicious. The hotel talked up a lot of support, but in the end screwed me. Here are some of my favorite shots though.

One big improvement that I always wanted to do came true after someone posted up an awesome deal on Massive's Street BBK. I highly recommend doing one of these BBKs, or even UUC's street version, if you've got an e30. I know e30 stock brakes work just fine, but I justify this as both a performance and safety upgrade and I've been exceedingly happy. The pedal feel is far more confident and the bite much more aggressive. One day I want to powdercoat them yellow.

I've embarked on two other BMW projects. Both enjoyable and regrettable in their own regards. Because no matter how much more power, luxury, etc other cars have, it just aint no e30. Sometimes I just wish I could do my whole car history over again and only buy e30s. An iX sedan and a 318i vert would have been amazing. But the only way I could come to this conclusion, without regret, is by experiencing two different angles of BMW. The luxury rare side w/ the e24 635CSi, and the modern performance angle w/ the e46 m3. Both were brilliant in their own regard, but I dont really need a wine cooler in the back seat, nor do I need the trouble of 333hp. I much prefer the all-around raw experience the e30 offers. I dont have AC, working windshieldwipers, highbeams, power steering, airbags, or a whole buncha other things but it makes me more involved and aware in the experience of driving. After all, i'm steering 2,500lbs of steel down the road - I better be involved and aware. One regular hit I get is that my e30 doesnt have airbags. True. But that makes me all that more careful. In my experience, the same people that concern themselves with my e30's lack of safety, are the same ones that use their airbaged car as a comforting reassurance that it'll be OK to drive with poor seat positioning, while texting, etc. Cause hey, everything'll be just fine when my 14 side airbags protect me from my mistakes. So yeah, the e30 is kinda dangerous by today's standard. I take their complaints with a grain of salt. Plus, hey, I've already crashed this one a couple times and it wasnt so bad, right? But that's just my opinion. There's almost nothing more I hate than the sheepish mentality that cars are meant to get from point-A-to-B. How you drive reflects how you want to live in my opinion. I'd much rather experience the environment with the windows down because my AC dont work, with a little risk involved, than close myself off in temperature controlled couch coffin of complacency. Rant over haha

Below are my two projects. Both have since been sold.

Here's the e24 story http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1362253

Here's the e46 story from the following year. Also I finally spent a couple weeks and did a makeover on the garage. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1520183

Since then the only thing I've really worked on has been cleaning up the engine bay and performing some preventative maintenance. The motor's been a warhorse so far and still shows to be in excellent condition from Whitney's rebuild in 2004. I've snipped the airbag sensors, removed the HID fogs/ballasts, rewrapped the existing wires, already had the AC removed, removed the cruise control, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other stuff.

Gotta plug my friend George, head engineer at RAI Motorsports. Also the guy who bought the e24 project. He's helped a ton with the e30 and recently helped refresh the motor for my stay down south. He removed my clogged stock cats, only 5 years old, with a custom setup he welded. That was a huge source of free power. He also was able to squeeze on a set of silicone hoses. I'm scared of something breaking down in Horsepasture, so I asked George to to bulletproof anything that could go wrong. Gaskets, seals, etc. I originally met George after he responded to a thread on here asking for help installing my MAF. He came over that week, knowing nothing about me other than my problem, and we've been friends ever since. Good dude. It's crazy how many friendships of mine are thanks-to and involved with this project.

I've got about 6 years of history with e30s now. I graduated with a business degree in 2010. I focused on detailing for a while, and surprisingly enough I'm now starting a farm with my friend Scott, the owner of the e46 & Bronco, also seen taking garden sheers to my engine bay. I occasionally go back to Baltimore, and especially made time to hit up Summit Point's Karting events with Richard.

Which brings me to the future plans. The reason I never wrote this out before was because I never really felt the project had came into it's own. Sure I had personal attachment to it and she was clean and rare example. But nothing really super unique ya know?

I've got a lot of free time here on the farm. It's 150acres we're developing as an organic sustainable farm out in the middle of absolutely nothing. I went from living in Baltimore City and 4 blocks away from the White House at GWU to being isolated on a mountaintop. I was torn whether or not to bring it, but I had to. If I can only have one car, no matter how impractical it may be, it's gotta be my e30. All the other projects were sold. And lemme tell ya, It's been super interesting in the town of Horsepasture VA with this thing. I'm the only old German car in the town of 2,000. Most people dont even know it's German let a alone a BMW. One dude even tried to convince me it had a v12.

I needed another outlet other than the farm, so I joined the local Horsepasture Volunteer Rescue Squad. Believe it or not, I recently I got elected President of the squad. It's not that no one else was willing to help the community or anything; they simply didnt have the time to dedicate to the position. Some have multiple jobs, most have kids, or are at least married with a 9-5 job. So as I train as an EMT, I handle the squads business and operations side of the organization. I also just picked up my EVOC license so I drive the ambulances. Now let me explain to you an awesome benefit to being a volunteer rescue squad member.... you can answer calls in your personal vehicle. Which means I get to rock emergency lights. Which finally gave me the unique spin to my project I've always wanted....

Teaser shot for now...

Comment

A whole lot has happened to me over the past six months, especially in regards to my e30. I ended up not turning her into my response vehicle simply because of the rough wear & tear it required to drive on all those rough dirt roads all day. I instead started a new project which I'm very happy to have embarked on, a 1985 Toyota Pickup. As a city boy, I never could rationalize, nor did I ever really want, a pickup truck. But living down south finally gave me a reason and motive to do so. And it was glorious.

1985 Toyota Pickup with 200k miles, 5spd, lift, 32" tires, AWD, rollbar all for $2500. For those of you that watched Topgear back when it wasnt a joke... this was the indestructible pickup they tormented. I sanded it down and painted it in an Egyptian Military scheme in-lieu of the North African "Toyota Wars" held by the recently killed Gaddafi. I added more strobes and LEDs than anyone else in the town combinded. This shot only shares a few of them haha

Living in Horsepasture was a ridiculous chapter of my life that I'm happy I was fortunate enough to experience, but was time for me to go back to Baltimore. I couldnt handle the ridiculousness anymore. So I resigned. There's of course plenty of implications to my personal life with this decision, and more importantly to this thread.

Since moving back, I've decided to pull the trigger on finally turning my e30 into a track-rat. Up until now, as much as I've loved this car, it's always kinda half-assed things. It's not exactly a track car, it never really was much of a clean/original e30 following all these accidents, nor was it the most practical daily driver. Serious identity issues with this thing. And I'll share with you the catalyst for clearing things up...

While parked in the garage at the cabin, something turrible happened. You can mess with my paint, fine, you can spill something on my carpet, ok, or even blow my clutch if you want. The only thing I've been super protective with has been my perfect houndstooth seats. And I've accomplished their preservation. Until this little guy decided to make a new nest. Yes, that's right, a whole family of mice decided to make a nest in my glovebox out of my precious seats. The parents were dead, but I found their 1wk old baby alive. I figured the same rules for American citizenship should apply to my car, so I raised it. If you're born in my car, you're a part of the car ya know? Well I had good intentions, but definitely not the mouse-mothering skills, so Mr Wiskers has since died.

It was about this time that my buddy Richard and I finished painting his spec e30. Lime green none the less :) I thought I'd tag along with him to an HPDE. It would be my first experience on a track following 7 some years of autocrossing and the beginning of my newfound addiction...

Then next month, Hyperfest HPDE at Summit Point. I was hooked. Now it's just a matter of sorting out the car. Because I know I'm about to spend the next lifetime running down tracks.

I couldnt handle looking at the hole anymore, and I wanted to become more serious about my track days, so I finally decided it was time for fixed-backs. Microfiber Corbeau FX1 Pros. Hell yeah. For their price ($400/ea), I cant think of a better mix of style, quality, and materials. And with fixedbacks must come a cage, so I got the street-race Autopower setup which I painted white. Why white? So it would match my wheels :) It's about this time that my buddy Gus also bought a red two door e30 with Ronal LSs so I had even more inspiration to change my style up haha

Yep, I painted my Ronals white. I needed something new. I love basketweaves so much, specifically Ronal LSs, so I decided to paint them instead of changing them out. To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only e30 rocking white LSs.

I'm also the only person (well, in Maryland at least) with my new plate.... :)

I did something else a while back which I had been hesitant on for years, getting tint. These shots showcase the difference well. Honestly I thought I'd never do it. Tint on older cars just doesnt look classy. But then I realized that I rarely ever saw people with 50%. And, with the few cars that did have it, they managed to maintain their class while still obtaining the benefits that come with tint. So I did it. And I love it. I even did the windshield. I like the look, but I especially appreciate how much cooler it is. Coming from someone without AC - that's important!

And that's what she looks like now. My one and only car. My baby. More to come lata....

Comment

Bravo, thoroughly impressed. Some of those shots are extravagant.
              I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
              Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

wow such a nice job here
                great job on the body work too

I wouldn't have painted the wheels though imho

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your journey.
                  Really enjoyed it.
                  Encompassed what the passion is all about.
                  Great photography and storytelling.
                  Mad, proper, respect.
                  Truly beautiful car(s).
                  :up:
                  -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Amazing thread and amazing writeup. You've got some serious love for your car, I know the feeling as well.
                    BimmerHeads
                    Classic BMW Specialists
                    Santa Clarita, CA

www.BimmerHeads.com

Comment

Great story, great passion, thanks Pino.
                      E39 535
                      E24 635 csi
                      E24 633 csi
                      Project thread http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18874

Comment

Awesome job! Nice wheels color :)

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

E30s look amazing in red.
                          Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Thread of the year nomination!

Comment

Awesome story! Also, it's a bit weird seeing some of those pics, as your car is like a MUCH cleaner version of mine and you took pictures in a lot of the same places haha.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Working...
                              X