325 Touring. Kind of slow build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325 Touring. Kind of slow build.

So I've been a long lurker on R3v and when a question pops up in my head, I've always found an answer on R3v. So Ty guys! My native language is Estonian so excuse me for any spelling mistakes.
    Anyway the story on the car... It originally was a 318 touring from the factory.
    It was brought from Germany to Estonia in 2005 and at that time it was in really good condition. As far as I know it has had 3 owners.
    The second owner swapped the M10 engine for an M20B23. The M20 was from an 83 323i and when he made the swap, he didn't open up the engine and when it finnally started it came out to be in really bad shape, like really bad shape.. Every gasket leaked oil, piston rings were none existent and so on...
    So he sold it to a young dude and that was a disaster... He just drove it for half a year. Didn't do anything.. no oil change, no nothing, he destroyd the suspension, put on huge shitty ass tires which destroyd the front fenders.

It's my first car. I've been a long time fan of old bimmers since I was a kid.
    I knew that the car was in rough shape but the body was good, it is a touring and I liked the fact that it has no chrome what so ever, so I bought it . First evening the poor M20 already left me at the side of the road for a couple of times... Anyway we managed to keep it running somehow, which pretty much was a miracle, because literally everything was fcked. So we went to shoot some pictures with friends.

So the engine finnaly died two weeks later, just could'nt get it to start, no matter what we did and tried. I've have never worked on cars before in my life, well some little things here and there on friends cars... But I have always liked the idea of a project car and have spent countless hours on forums researching and I really wanted to learn, so I decided to as much work myself as I could.

So I bought a "new" engine which is a M20B25 1989.

The engine was already opened up and the cylinder walls were good and I thought it's perfect that way so I can change every gasket and make sure everythings clean and working well. The 885 head and all the missing parts came with it ofcourse.
    So when we pulled the camshaft out of the head, this was what we saw...

So I was really dissapointed, the head was scrap...
    Searched for a new/used head for a few weeks and finally found one for really cheap. Took it to a machine shop to to make sure everything was fine.

Well then one day I got bored and got the old engine out.
    By the way I did alone for the first time in my life, only help I had was a little loader/tractor. Took like 8 hours, a couple of beers and a lot of swearing because of old rusted nuts and crap haha :D

At first I thought that I would not waste money and time on making it pretty but I just could not slap it together with a shitty looking valve cover and intake and so on :D So I painted the valve cover, intake and exhaust manifold, of course with high temperature paint.

(Sadly no before pic of the valve cover)

Then I got myself a garage.

Then finally I got all new bushings and stuff for my gear linkage, assembled the motor and bolted the trans to it. And then struggled for a few hours with my best friend to get the motor in the car.

So here's all the parts I changed for new stuff.

Intake gasket
    Exhaust gasket
    Head gasket
    Valve cover gasket
    Oil sump gasket
    Waterpump gasket
    Thermostat housing gasket
    Throttle body gasket
    Throttle body warmer coolant whatever small gasket.
    Shaft seal
    O rings
    And so on, every gasket I could find on the engine was changed for a new one.

Piston rings
    All new bearings
    Waterpump
    Belt and tensioner
    Head bolts
    Clutch
    Clutch release bearing
    Output cylinder clutch
    Motor mounts
    Transmission mounts
    Guibo
    Spark plugs
    Rotor
    Oil filter
    Fuel filter
    Air filter
    Belts for generator and powersteering.
    Thermostat

Waiting for my new radiator, distributor cap and spark plug wires.
    Last 3 things and then I hope I can get it started.
    Anyway I'll update as I go along, there's a lot of things that need attention, but in time I'll get her there :)
    The plan is just to restore it, some nice wheels and lowered suspension, It will be my daily for hopefully a very long time, no plan of ever selling it.

Nice save! Like where this is going.
    Continuous For Sale Thread
    323i s50

Comment

Nice! Change those wheels when you get the chance. Also what prep work did you do to the intake and valve cover?

Ps, you have very good English sir ;)
      Current:
      1989 325i
      1988 M3
      1987 325ic
      Past:
      2001 330ci
      2001 M3

Comment

Nice work! That engine looks fresh! I absolutely HATE that we don't have tourings over here.
        91 318is M50 swapped
        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Looks like you saved it just in time! Looking awesome so far - why are tourings so cool :D
          1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
          1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
          1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
          My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

very nice. Looking forward to progress
            95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
            Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
            LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Ive always wanted a touring e30! Nice e30!

Comment

Well I didnĀ“t really do much prep work, just cleaned them thoroughly inside and out, then took some sandpaper and scrubbed for hours... Yea I know there are easier ways but I didn't really want to pay for sandblasting :D
                Anyway here's some pictures before paint...

And yes I hate those rims myself to :D But first I want to eliminate all technical problems and then start work on the exterior.
                Still have to figure something out with the exhaust...
                And I have a few questions about the cooling system hoses
                The previous m20b23 used somekind of ancient radiator which had the expansion tank on the side of it. I bought a new stock B25 BEHR radiator which needs a separate expansion tank.
                So my question is how the expansion tank connects to the cooling system?
                I know there is a "T" shaped hose, one end connects to the bottom of the T-stat housing and the other end to the firewall opening... So the third connects to the expansion tank probably? :D Sorry if the description is a little confusing.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, most of em are taken with my phone.
                As soon as I get the engine running I will take some better pictures of the engine bay and the whole car itself :)
                Here's an old one for fun...

Comment

Working...
                X