No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organized all my plastic fasteners. I love these cheepo organizer containers from HF.

Pulled diff apart because I was paranoid that I did something wrong. Turns out it's fine. Still debating whether or not I want to take it apart to install the bolt spacers to adapt the e36 LSD unit's m14 bolt holes to the e30 m12 size.

Currently the LSD unit is installed without the spacers. So the holes are too big for the bolts. Dunno how bad that is...

Cleaned up the whiteboard and made it current.

Pulled radiator, condenser, and installed engine support bar

Parts

Exhaust, driveshaft, diff

Dropped the whole front subframe to get easy access to the oil pan to change the oil pump. Most annoying part is disconnecting the PS and draining the fluid which I had to do anyway to change the pump. I hate ATF.

Unbolt tie rods, control arms, FCAB brackets, steering linkage (mark the position, lock the steering wheel!!) and unbolt PS hoses. Simple.

And I "finished" the gazebo. Still have some finishing touches, but that's basically it.

Turning my full attention back to the car. I want to drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 07-21-2015, 10:54 AM.
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Made small progress. Finally got the damn oil pan off. Wound up having to drill reliefs into the trans to access the 2 bolts at the back of the pan. They were covered by the bellhousing. It's never simple.

I made a little thread of the modifications since I never saw it mentioned before: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=362308

Shadetree30

Comment

seeing this last post reminds me I should really inspect to make sure my oil pump nut is safety wired at the very least. I suppose I should also figure out a way to get the engine oil check light off.

oh and now I want smoked smileys and cross hairs LOL

car looks real good

Comment

Originally posted by XwalkerX View Post
          seeing this last post reminds me I should really inspect to make sure my oil pump nut is safety wired at the very least. I suppose I should also figure out a way to get the engine oil check light off.

oh and now I want smoked smileys and cross hairs LOL

car looks real good
          Thanks!

The smoked lights would certainly pull your euro trim, black grills, and blacked out window chrome together. I'm surprised you don't have them already!! They transform the look of the car.
          Shadetree30

Comment

yeah I guess ill have to add them to the list LOL

Comment

Broken spal fan. Never seen this happen before.

Amazon sent a replacement asap.

Replaced the AC and serpentine idler/tensioner pulleys for peace of mind. I was getting some pulley noise and I suspect the alternator but figure these can't hurt. They were due anyway.

Guibo was bad. I'm hoping that was the crazy driveline vibration. It's meyle brand if that makes a difference. I believe oem is/was febi. That's what I got to replace it. Only ever oem for my cars. Anything less isn't worth it.

Other side of the guibo. Several bolts were actually loose. One was missing as mentioned previously.

New febi guibo

New hardware

Everything is mostly back together. Just need to install the diff and exhaust, plus make changes to the CCV system to incorporate an exhaust evac kit. Also picked up a Hobart 140 mig and some gas. I've been dying to use it but I got sick. So I'm waiting to feel better before attacking the car again. It's been like a month since I drove the e30 and I have withdrawals.

Shadetree30

Comment

Better have it done by tomorrow! Ha

Comment

Originally posted by yert315 View Post
                  Better have it done by tomorrow! Ha
                  If I hadn't gotten sick it would've :hitler:

All I need is one solid afternoon/evening and it'll hit the road. Probably won't touch it today either :( I still feel like crap
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Exhaust evac in California? Aww shit. Middle finger to the establishment right there

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                      Exhaust evac in California? Aww shit. Middle finger to the establishment right there

Well I want to pull vacuum on the crankcase but not through the intake manifold, and I don't want the smell from an open vent, so what choice does that leave me? My hands are really tied here

Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                        Well I want to pull vacuum on the crankcase but not through the intake manifold, and I don't want the smell from an open vent, so what choice does that leave me? My hands are really tied here

I'm not hating. Lemme know how it goes.

My system is pressurizing my crank case so it's just venting to atmosphere atm.

I was told an exhaust ccv is shit if you have cats and mufflers due to the back pressure

Comment

I'm not hating. Lemme know how it goes.

My system is pressurizing my crank case so it's just venting to atmosphere atm.

I was told an exhaust ccv is shit if you have cats and mufflers due to the back pressure

I didn't think you were hating ;)

The results will be posted here. There are a couple theories I want to try; I made a thread in the FI section of bimmerforums which turned into an interesting discussion. I'll post the link.

My mufflers are all straight through designs so there shouldn't be any back pressure.

There's actually a lot more to a proper CCV setup than you'd think. Though for NA, vented is perfectly fine. I just don't like it because of the smell being that the e30 is my daily. Plus it's not technically optimal which is what I strive for :) also makes for a fun science experiment and an excuse to tinker and learn.

Shadetree30

Comment

Yeah every time I turn on my blower fan I get that sweet oil smell.

My motor is tuned pretty much on the limit so I don't want to draw oil vapors into the intake and have it detonate and blow it.

I have 2 cats, a resonator, and a muffler, so I'm not sure exhaust ccv will work for me

Comment

Yeah every time I turn on my blower fan I get that sweet oil smell.

My motor is tuned pretty much on the limit so I don't want to draw oil vapors into the intake and have it detonate and blow it.

I have 2 cats, a resonator, and a muffler, so I'm not sure exhaust ccv will work for me
                              I mean, if its a second car, it's not as big an issue. My SCed e36 has a vented can.

Curious: why keep the cats if the car can't pass emissions anyway?
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 rebuild + goodies swap - DD / autox Journey

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                                I mean, if its a second car, it's not as big an issue. My SCed e36 has a vented can.

Curious: why keep the cats if the car can't pass emissions anyway?

I dunno I care about the environment hehe. The cats are new aftermarket and running on e85 it should be pretty clean.

I might gain 5hp by taking them off, and I prefer healthy lungs over 5 extra horse power

Honestly I think climate change could have a serious impact on our generation. I'd feel better about myself knowing I spent the extra money for the good of the earth. Guess I'm a stupid hippie that way

Comment

Working...
                                X