• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 loud ticking

Why does it tick so loud when warm?

Thank you for your input.
    Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

My 1st guess would be slightly low oil level. I keep mine filled up to the top mark on the dipstick (sometimes a little over that). If that doesn't fix it, maybe oil is too thin (what weight oil are you using?).

Comment

Oil level looks good -

LIQUI MOLY SEA 5W-30

Comment

Sounds like a lifter to me. How long as the engine been running since the swap? Mine did this right after I installed it because the lifters bled down from the engine sitting. The procedure is apparently to hold it at 3K for 3 mins to pump the lifters back up.

Comment

agreed on lifter noise
          cars beep boop

Comment

Seems like thin oil too. Run 15w-40 and a half quart over recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by M3PO View Post
              Sounds like a lifter to me. How long as the engine been running since the swap? Mine did this right after I installed it because the lifters bled down from the engine sitting. The procedure is apparently to hold it at 3K for 3 mins to pump the lifters back up.
              It's been running for a few weeks-

3K for 3 minutes? really?

Comment

I have an E34 dipstick on my S50 - Do I have to go over the mark on the stick?

Comment

Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
                  It's been running for a few weeks-

3K for 3 minutes? really?
                  Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
                  I have an E34 dipstick on my S50 - Do I have to go over the mark on the stick?
                  Yep, that worked for me. It seems a little scary but mine sits at 3750 for extended periods of time on the freeway at 80 mph so it's not that different, just no load.

I have the E34 dipstick also and have always filled it to the full line.

edit: That has worked for me twice actually. The second time my head cracked so I disassembled and cleaned all of the lifters before putting them in the new head so I had to do it again.

Comment

Thank you - I'll top it off and try it.

Comment

Originally posted by M3PO View Post
                      Yep, that worked for me. It seems a little scary but mine sits at 3750 for extended periods of time on the freeway at 80 mph so it's not that different, just no load.

I have the E34 dipstick also and have always filled it to the full line.

edit: That has worked for me twice actually. The second time my head cracked so I disassembled and cleaned all of the lifters before putting them in the new head so I had to do it again.
                      Completely agree with this.

Comment

Top it off- I'll drive home today and try what you are suggesting. I'll report back

Comment

Working...
                        X