cluster battery light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cluster battery light.

I'm having an issue with this idiot light not turning on when it comes to starting the car. This is what I've done so far. I place a test light on D+ of the alternator and it does turn on and then off once the car starts..So the alternator works. I traced the blueish wire all the way to the connector behind the instrument cluster, again, with the test light it works.. Next I swapped the idiot light with a known working light and there was nothing wrong with the idiot light.

took the whole cluster apart and analyzed the traces on the circuit board and applied + and - voltage and the idiot light does turn on. I followed the trace from wire connector socket to the bulb and then it goes back to the same wire connector socket. So I looked at the wire connector and see that it the return trace matches a green wire on the wire connector. So basically. On that same wire connector behind the cluster, in comes in a bluish wire goes to the idiot light and then returns to that same wire connector to the green wire.. But this green wire has + voltage with the ignition on and so does the bluish wire. So the bulb is receiving + voltage on both sides which is why it's not turning on. It use to work.. open to any input ...This is an e30 turbo s50 m3 btw..Thanks..
    88 e30/s50 gt35r turbo m3

96 gt4094r turbo m3
    452 rwhp, 455 rwtq at 14 psi 91 octane
    681 rwhp, 684 rwtq at 25 psi E65

Currently having the same issue, my light used to turn on, but not anymore. Really not sure what the problem is, I put a new ground in, tightened the bolts. Could the wire possibly be the fuse box e36 wire?

I will look into it more tomorrow, I have a hunch that it may be the actual connector on the battery, since they have giving me headache before, but the car will still slightly crank with no battery light turning on. I have replaced the bulb, but i will try interior grounds tomorrow, the ones under the pedals.

I doubt the problem is the cluster, I recently took it out of the car to look over it and it looked very clean.

For reference, I have an M50, with an auto e36 harness in it.

Comment

Looks like the alternator is dead.

Comment

Working...
      X