No announcement yet.

S54 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this on S14--a guy swapped in an S54 into an E30 M3, and is using Motec M800 to control the whole shebang.

There's this guy near me who does tuning for the Motec M600. I guess his turnkey systems run around $10K. :o

Last but not least this guy on S14, M_US_E30, was at the brink of running an S54 in his E30 M3, but sold everything off prior to the completion of the project. I hope that's not me in 6 months!

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Nice. It's really rare to see a custom plenum done that well.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
        Maybe I'll go to the junkyard and scope out what the E36 front subframe looks like.
        The front subframes look remarkably similar with the E36 one a bit deeper in the middle. The main issue comes with where the engine actually sits in the engine bay. The engine in the E36 sits farther back and allows for the rear sump placement.

What would be cool (track car only) is to remove the heater core and related parts and move the fire wall back to accomodate the rear sump. Although, this would lead to a host of other custom parts such as the mounting arms, shift carrier, drive shaft, etc.

Big plus is that it would significantly help with weight distribution.
        Attached Files

Comment

My next GRM $200x Challenge project will involve a mid/front mounted motor, it looks like.

Comment

Fred if you do this i must see it it will be Bad ass.
            sigpic

Comment

btw, TEC3 *CAN* run dual-vanos (unofficially though). I am quite sure MS could too, with a bit of firmware/hardware massaging

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike B. View Post
                EMS install is pretty straight forward and can be done DIY with sucess, but the tuning is better left to a shop with a good dyno operator. I can't stress this enough. I've done quite a few Porshe 911 EFI conversions and the tuning portion is crucial. Be prepared to spend quite a bit of money on dyno time.
                Be prepared to spend quite a bit of money on dyno time is exactly correct.

I put a TECIII on my M5 and I can tell you that I've spent far more money on the dyno than I did on the hardware. The install was fairly easy but the tuning has been elusive.

If I had it to do over again, I would spend the extra money for Motec - without question. TECIII is cheap for a reason and has left me terribly disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by static View Post
                  btw, TEC3 *CAN* run dual-vanos (unofficially though). I am quite sure MS could too, with a bit of firmware/hardware massaging

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=515437
                  The rest of the story is that the TECIII had huge (megasqurt-esque) running problems in their car. I think that was a big part of their decision to change to AEM on their new motor (S54).

Comment

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=515437
                    Don't be penny-wise and pound foolish on an S54 swap. Megasquirt and TEC3 will not be up to the task. This is a Motec, Autronic, or EFI Technology type project.

Comment

These EMS prices make me want to use the stock DME in with 35 emissions CELS and in limp-home mode!!!

One solution I won't be using is the Grand Am Koni Challenge Bosch MS4.3 package. $6200 + 2800 for a wiring harness. Hopefully people start jettisoning Motecs for pennies on the dollar. jk

Comment

Get in touch with Jim Conforti. You could probably send him an ECU and a bag of money and get back something that would work.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                          The rest of the story is that the TECIII had huge (megasqurt-esque) running problems in their car. I think that was a big part of their decision to change to AEM on their new motor (S54).
                          all i said is that it CAN be done, in response to people saying it CAN'T earlier in the thread.
                          I understand the solution robustness is less than stellar for the end-user, but i am sure if you are the person who built and tuned the unit on their own car, and has a full understanding of what's going on (namely Vic), you can always diagnose and fix the problems quite easily.

btw, what kinds of "MS-esque" problems did they have? (hardware problems? tuning problems?) i wasn't really following the developments.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                            These EMS prices make me want to use the stock DME in with 35 emissions CELS and in limp-home mode!!!

One solution I won't be using is the Grand Am Koni Challenge Bosch MS4.3 package. $6200 + 2800 for a wiring harness. Hopefully people start jettisoning Motecs for pennies on the dollar. jk
                            Fred, I deal with Autronic. If the time ever comes when you need EMS, just drop me a line and I can offer some VERY friendly pricing.

Comment

btw, what kinds of "MS-esque" problems did they have? (hardware problems? tuning problems?) i wasn't really following the developments.
                              Now that you mention it, I can't find anything from Bryan on BFC about it either. I may have been thinking of someone else. I know Bret (bbaz on BFC) has had huge issues with his. Random lockups, the red LED of death, re-flashes needed all the time etc. He's back on an OBDI ecu now, and his car's been dead reliable. (at 400+ hp)

Comment

Yeah, Bryan mentioned TECIII resetting or forgetting its programming after hitting big bumps on the track in a thread about the S54 running AEM.

Thanks for the offer on the Autronic, Mike. I guess I have to some more research before I pull any triggers.

Comment

Working...
                                X