Rumbling Sound in Driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumbling Sound in Driveshaft

I replaced my drive shaft yesterday due to the u joints giving out, this of course resulted in the center support bearing being destroyed as well and causing a horrible vibration and rumbling sound. I Installed a used drive shaft with 95k on it, I also installed a brand new center support bearing. The problem persist! It Sounds horrible,Its a loud rumble sound, there is horrible vibration as well felt right under the handbrake area. The only thing I noticed was the need to pull the drive shafts apart so that they could reach the attaching points on the trans and differential. I locked them into place with the collar that goes over the to(you twist it from one shaft to the other) I wiggled it and its solid, no play anywhere. Any advice or knowledge on what further steps to take?!

Well there are a couple things that come to mine. First, when i felt what you appear to be decribing it was the back universal join on my driveshaft failing. they should be able to move freely but not loosely. when mine had failed it didnt wiggle it ceased up. other options are that the drive shaft was not put back together correctly and it is out of phase or the input bearing on the diff is bad. Unfortunately it looks like another day of messing around with it to find out what is wrong.
    Much wow
    I hate 4 doors

Comment

How do I check if its the diff bearing? I take it I will have to remove the driveshaft again right?

Comment

Originally posted by nunezfrancisco30 View Post
        How do I check if its the diff bearing? I take it I will have to remove the driveshaft again right?
        yes, you will need to pull it again.
        if you can wiggle the diff input shaft. <.< it's gone.
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

There is also a bushing @ the front of the driveshaft where it connects to tranny. Also check guibo, and correct alignment/ tension during install are both important.
          I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

When installing the center support bearing, you need to bias it ~5mm toward the front of the car to put some pre-load in the bushing. It sounds like your issue is something else, but that's also important.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of your responses, I will get on it tomorrow morning and get back with results, or possibly more questions hahaha

Comment

Working...
              X