Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebay Stainless Steel Headers - Do they Sound like Raspy Crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay Stainless Steel Headers - Do they Sound like Raspy Crap?

SO I got some ebay SS headers for my m50 swap. Someone mentioned in a Facebook post that they make the exhaust sound raspy, which I hate. I'm keeping my exhaust mostly stock, perhaps changing the muffler, that's it.

What are people's experience with them on a m50, sound wise?

They can be a little raspy, especially at higher rpm. If you want to reduce the rasp I would highly suggest ceramic coating the headers. I did that on my s52 swap and it made a world of difference in reducing the rasp. I've got an m52 with non-ceramic coated ebay SS headers and an s52 with ceramic coated ones. If you really want to know the difference I can probably take a couple of videos revving the engines over the headers. m52 engine is currently being swapped into a convertible so it may be a couple of weeks before I can get a video of the non-ceramic coated ones
    M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
    Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
    M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

i have them on my s52, along with a single 2.5 pipe which has a cat, a borla xr1 resonator, and a vibrant muffler.

Sounds pretty good to me. Not raspy, bit of a growl
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

The headers sounds great with a good exhaust. I have run them before and I LOVED the way they made my magnaflow exhaust w/resonators sound. The key is to put resonators in line for sure.

Side note, I have a new, unused set for sale if you are in the market. bought them for my swap but have since decided to go turbo...

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
          The headers sounds great with a good exhaust. I have run them before and I LOVED the way they made my magnaflow exhaust w/resonators sound. The key is to put resonators in line for sure.

Side note, I have a new, unused set for sale if you are in the market. bought them for my swap but have since decided to go turbo...
          I might be interested if it's cheap haha
          Hank Ahrens
          1984 Alpine Coupe
          1978 911sc

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Im going to play it safe and just use m52 headers. The fear of rasp is too much for me lol

Comment

If I had to do it my system over I would have had them coated. I'm running 2.5" dual pipes into high flow cats, a x-pipe and a UUC System U. I'd like to either switch to an insulated x-pipe or add a resonator this winter to take the rasp down.

Comment

I have a S52, eBay headers, vibrant 2" 2-to 1 2.5", long 2.5" magnaflow bullet in the center, and 2.5" vibrant at the end.

s52ebay headers to single 2.5"magnaflow bullet in the centervibrant at the rear

Comment

Working...
                X