Topgaiters cheap leather shift boot from ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topgaiters cheap leather shift boot from ebay

My boot was rubbbing the console when I put the car into reverse which shredded my $30 vinyl boot from bavauto so I decided to try out a leather boot from a UK ebayer TOP GAITERS. Cost me 10 pounds shipped.

Here is what it looked liked when it arrived, note that it does not have a mounting frame, you must use the one from your original boot.

Leather is nice and thick, which means it should be pretty durable, but not sure if it will move nicely when shifting.

Also liked the texture of the boot, I think it matches the texture of the console better than the bavauto boot. Here is a comparison of the leather boot (top), a new bavauto boot (bottom right), and my old bavauto boot (left). Notice that bavauto has changed the texture of their boots so that there is almost no wrinkle which really doesn't match the interior of the car at all.

Installation is super simple, first take your old torn boot and tear all the material off of the plastic frame like so.

Then stretch the new leather boot over the frame, it is kind of tricky to get on, takes a little bit of force which worried me because I did not want to brake the frame but it held up to the force just fine, but I'd still be cautious.

Fitment is nice and tight and I think looks great when compared to the bavuto boot which comes with a frame already attached.

Next you just snap it on and then push the boot down over the stick and install your shift knob!

The only difference now between this one and the bavauto boot is that the bavauto one has a plastic collar at the top. I installed a z3 lever on my car and I hear that the boot with a plastic collar at the top won't go down far enough on the shorter levers, so this was actually a benefit to me.

The leather is very study and at the same time soft, it squished down over my lever fine and it moves nicely when shifting. I have yet to fix the reverse rub so this boot is taking some abuse but is holding up nicely.

It looks like the bavauto boot is now going for $50 which is crazy, I think that for 10 pounds this leather boot can't be beat!
    West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
    ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

I purchased these when my stock ones got torn. Cheap and actually pretty decent quality. Held up for at least a year or two now.
    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

awesome
      im thinking about getting there ebrake and shift boot combo

-
      Project
      Parts for Sale
      Feedback
      YouTube Channel

Comment

I actually bought the ebrake boot and shift boot separately. Not sure how I feel about the ebrake boot, couldn't get it to fit on my orig frame as nicely and not sure what to do about the collar. I'll post some pics of that in a day or so.
        West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
        ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

I have both ebrake and shifter boot. Good quality and fits perfect. Easy to install without using any glue on the shifter boot.

Comment

Interesting, I was checking these out. I currently have a Matt-B ebrake boot and it doesn't fir the best at the rear where there seems to be a metal tab that stretches the fabric out. Worried about the shape of the ebay ones.

Comment

I can say the shifter boot is perfect fit, but yeah I have the ebrake boot and I'm not overly impressed, let me get some pictures when its light out and you can see.

Comment

hurry up with picture's guys im about to purchase.

anyone have the ebrake with a e34 handle?

-
                Project
                Parts for Sale
                Feedback
                YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                  hurry up with picture's guys im about to purchase.

anyone have the ebrake with a e34 handle?
                  I replied to your PM. I also have e34 leather ebrake handle installed.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMishMoo View Post
                    I actually bought the ebrake boot and shift boot separately. Not sure how I feel about the ebrake boot, couldn't get it to fit on my orig frame as nicely and not sure what to do about the collar. I'll post some pics of that in a day or so.
                    On the collar where it meets the handle you can use a zip tie on the inside and fold the boot over it, if that makes sense. That's what I did on my boots from rscheiring awhile ago and worked it great.

Comment

i put my order in
                      so we'll see how they turn out.

-
                      Project
                      Parts for Sale
                      Feedback
                      YouTube Channel

Comment

Take pics as well. I've had the shifter and e-brake combo in my watch list for a while now haha.

Comment

I bought from him in "alcantara". Can't say I'm to pleased, but for the price I guess it's almost okay.
                          Wouldn't recommend the "alcantara" ones.
                          '91 E30 316i
                          '97 Rover Mini 1275

Comment

im still waiting on it to be shipped.

-
                            Project
                            Parts for Sale
                            Feedback
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

I got the alcantara set. They look good, fitment isn`t perfect, but for $50 i can`t complain

Comment

Working...
                              X