Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 Coilover suspension DIY (in progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iamsam View Post
    ha ha well, my E28 snapped a t-belt just last weekend, so that has set progress back a bit, my springs and shocks are just sitting in boxes in my garage waiting for the E20 to get a new engine.

...so I will probably be updating my E28 24v swap thread before I update this one, unfortunately...
    I can test out the spax shocks on the M5 to compare them against the bmw mtech ones...
    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
      I can test out the spax shocks on the M5 to compare them against the bmw mtech ones...
      heh that seems like a lot of work! Come help me swap in my M50 and install my suspension and then you can drive my car. ;)

Comment

The m50 isn't exactly an easy swap in the e28, are you sure what your getting into?
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
          The m50 isn't exactly an easy swap in the e28, are you sure what your getting into?
          How so? I'll contact you via email, so as not to drag this off topic too far.

Comment

Would anyone happen to know what spring rates Bilstein sports can handle?
            -Paolo
            1986 325e RIP.
            1989 525i
            1986 635CSI

Comment

Originally posted by iamsam View Post
              How so? I'll contact you via email, so as not to drag this off topic too far.
              I'm interested too, why m50? lol

BUY MY WHEELS! BBS E50s!!
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=275407

Originally posted by Lurker27
              Any man will tell you being blown is better than being stroked.

Comment

Originally posted by AsharC View Post
                I'm interested too, why m50? lol
                because it is an easy swap, my 100hp M20B20 snapped a t-belt, I happen to have a sub-100k mile M50nv and Getrag 5-speed sitting in my garage that I got for free, I want to be able to drive my E28, and the logic should work itself out from there.

Also, a 90hp increase should be a welcome change.

Comment

Originally posted by PReta View Post
                  Would anyone happen to know what spring rates Bilstein sports can handle?
                  whatever rates E30 H&R Race springs are, I would say that is the top end of what Billies can handle. iirc the rates are in the 300-400 range.

Comment

Why not go m30? It's seems more logical, and a lot simpler to do.

BUY MY WHEELS! BBS E50s!!
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=275407

Originally posted by Lurker27
                    Any man will tell you being blown is better than being stroked.

Comment

question everybody. will these work for the e24 front?
                      FITS BILSTEIN AND KONI 46mm (1 7/8" O.D.) SHOCK, COMMONLY USED ON STRUT APPLICATIONS. (shock & spring is NOT included)
                      -Paolo
                      1986 325e RIP.
                      1989 525i
                      1986 635CSI

Comment

Originally posted by AsharC View Post
                        Why not go m30? It's seems more logical, and a lot simpler to do.
                        Because I have a complete low mileage M50 swap ready to go, and I do not have an M30 swap.

Originally posted by PReta View Post
                        question everybody. will these work for the e24 front?
                        http://shop.a1racing.com/cok12429.aspx

From the picture, it sure doesn't look like it.

Comment

Hey guys, great stuff here.

Originally posted by hotballs View Post
                          ...lay down hot laps on the track, but who's doing that with their e28 anyway?
                          I DO!
                          ( I "borrowed" this from the interwebs)

Originally posted by cheapshot View Post
                          FYI, I put the set of springs that I just got in on the spring tester and they tested out at 525 and 550. Should be plenty for a daily/track car.
                          Thank you for this info. I can have my billy's re-valved for this or higher, in case I have to go up in rate.

As far as how much spring billi's can handle, does anyone know what the Eibach Pro kit spring rate is? I currently have Eibach spring in front and E39 540 sport rear springs, with 2 coils cut (or is it 2.5???)

The car sits fairly low, but it rides softer than a stock E46 M3. I've had had this setup for a while now. Billy's have held up great. A LOT of street driving and around 8 weekends of track stuff. Thus, I don't think the Honda spring rates would hurt them, but we should proly make sure.

At this point, I'm more concerned with track time and making it stick in the corners, well stick MOAR I mean.

///Memo

Comment

Working...
                          X