'84 318i Tranny question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'84 318i Tranny question.

Hello all! I just picked up a 84 318, the car doesn't have a transmission and few other parts are missing. I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a ZF 3HP22 transmission for it.

My question is will a 4HP22 fit? (sorry if this has been posted before, I searched and couldn't find anything.)

I looked on wikipedia (I know that they aren't 100 percent accurate.) and according to them a 4HP22 will fit a 318 only the 84 and 85. Is there any validity to this?

Thanks for any and all help!

Originally posted by RJ_Whitlock View Post

My question is will a 4HP22 fit? (sorry if this has been posted before, I searched and couldn't find anything.)
    !
    Yes, from donor E30 with 4hp you will need the flexplate, starter, driveshaft, mounting cross member, shifter level linkage, throttle cable will have to be custom fit.

3hp only have 3 gears but they tend to be very well built. What most people do in your situation is convert it to 5 speed manual.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
      Yes, from donor E30 with 4hp you will need the flexplate, starter, driveshaft, mounting cross member, shifter level linkage, throttle cable will have to be custom fit.

3hp only have 3 gears but they tend to be very well built. What most people do in your situation is convert it to 5 speed manual.
      Alright thanks for your help! I might just go the 5 speed manual route, this is going to be joy as I'm pretty new to the internals of BMW.

Comment

Working...
      X