Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 to stock exhaust power loss

Hey yall,

I'm trying to go for an ultimate sleeper look since I have an unmolested (well, until the swap) E30. The car's a 325e, and I was planning on mating the S52 headers and midpipe to the original 325E exhaust to keep it sleek and quiet. I was wondering if the power loss would be significant enough to not even consider this as an option?
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

use the m20b25 stock exhaust
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      use the m20b25 stock exhaust
      Thinking of doing this as well. Anyone who has done it... Thoughts? Obviously it will need custom work to attach to headers (I'm using eBay headers)

Comment

You should try to use a stock E36 midsection with factory cats, if you can get your hands on them. Paired with a nice aftermarket muffler, they sound the best. IMHO.

I would only use an M20B25 exhaust if I absolutely had to. It will choke it quite a bit.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

My setup is OEM manifolds, OEM downpipe/ midsection. OBD2 is better, but Ive used both, then it matches to a M20B25 exhaust. Its quiet and just fine. Probably want a flex section in there though, and a way to make it easily removable
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'm running an S52 with OBD2 headers into custom downpipes into stock M20 midsection with a Scorpion exhaust. It sounds great with a nice tone but still subtle, not much louder than stock.

It's a vert, I'm not tracking it so I can't say what kind of gains I would have with a free flowing midsection but on the street it's great; revs quick and freely.
            Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

So I guess sticking with the single exhaust tip exit is out of the question, unless I go with a larger diameter piping?

The joys of trying to keep an OEM look
              Originally posted by TSI
              OEM+

Comment

You could always stick a single outlet pipe onto the E36 muffler.
                However, if you do the math to figure out how big the pipe should be,
                you end up dangerously close to FartCanHonda diameter...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t
                  I went stock exhaust manifold > modified ebay downpipe > Y and single 3 inch > resonator > 1 in, 2 out (2.5 tips) Remus muffler, No complaints.
                  @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

S50 to stock exhaust power loss

I have a complete obd2 exhaust fabbed to fit an e30, its for sale, but can't ship it.
                    I took it to a track day and noticed no difference in power compared to a 3" exhaust with aftermarket headers. Obviously on a dyno you'd probably gain 5-10 hp.

The obd2 exhaust and manifolds are decent. I did do porting on the manifold to match the gasket though. looks like they added restriction much like they did on the obd2 intake. But it's easily removed with a die grinder.

I wouldn't run an m20 exhaust on an s50.. that exhaust is already restrictive on an m20.

Obd2 exhaust looks like this

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t
                      No fart can diameter for me.

I've sourced a complete rust free E46 325i exhaust. I'll weld that up to the S52 downpipes, seems like a better solution than welding it to my 325E exhaust, and better than a complete M20B25 exhaust I'd imagine.
                      Originally posted by TSI
                      OEM+

Comment

I have S50 and I'd like to know what engine mounts are you guys using? I am using the revshift mounts and the bank 1 (cyl 1-3) exhaust manifold gets too close to the subframe and nothing can be done. Tried M52 exhaust manifold and same issue. I have OBD1 downpipes ready but it won't attach due to the very tight space..
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have heard of folks that notch the subframe to allow for clearance of the E36 downpipes. Not easily done with the subframe in the car.

Others have sourced extra E36 flanges (cut from a center section) and re-welded them to a section of properly bent new pipe back to either a custom cat set-up or a cut E36 center section.

I plan to try and notch my subframe but would really like to see some pics to get a better idea of what area needs clearanced.

MJ

Comment

Thanks, for the input. I ordered a set of e28 M5 engine mounts since that's what people typically use and I'm gonna see if that'll allow me to retain the stock headers. Took my car as is to an exhaust shop and they wouldn't touch the cast iron...

Comment

Originally posted by ykarabala View Post
                              Thanks, for the input. I ordered a set of e28 M5 engine mounts since that's what people typically use and I'm gonna see if that'll allow me to retain the stock headers. Took my car as is to an exhaust shop and they wouldn't touch the cast iron...
                              You leave the cast manifold alone and modify the mid-pipe piping for the front bank only. I just got mine done for CA BAR and tried doing minimal mods to the exhaust. I have 2 inch ground clearance with my setup. Its pretty bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X