GB - Black Cloth Headliner **Closing Sun 3/25**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is some help:

I'd say its time consuming, but not hard to get right in terms of skill level. Plus this material is very forgiving - lots of stretch in it.
    A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do- Walter Gagehot

Comment

Pro / cons of fabric over alcantara? (besides price.)

I am interested in an alcantara one, but I definitely don't want it to sag or anything crazy like that. Either way, I want a black headliner, and this is on my list of things to do in April, so that's when I'll be able to pay.
      Thanks.
      Slicktop City!

Comment

Rob - this is kinda awkward but I feel the need to chime in. Please don't see this as my raining on your parade.

What I do think is worth note, however, is the material used in this "value" $125 piece was NOT what I consider a material belonging in a BMW. It is the same cheap feeling fuzzy kind of stuff you'd find in a Pontiac Sunfire. Not knocking Rob, but the material is just NOT up to my standards. DON'T GET ME WRONG - Rob is a really good guy to work with. There was an issue with my order but he promptly took care of it with a 100% refund (even generously ate the shipping). I have no doubt you'd be much happier with something he made in a different material, but this $125 one is a "pass" in my book.

Sorry if that came across as harsh, and your mileage might vary, but I just didn't want to see anyone get one of these in the mail and potentially spend hundreds of dollars having it installed (or hours upon hours doing it yourself) to be unhappy with the material.

Now Alcantara on the other hand, well, that's some hot shit. I saw some of the photos from Kevin (I don't think he posts on R3v, only tech?) of a microsuede one, wow, those are sexy ;) I ended up with a german canvas-like cloth in mine and couldn't be happier, but I still think Alc or micro would look amazing with custom seats / door panels.
        Sold my Sepang Bronze 1990 325is and miss it already

Comment

I'm happy to mail samples of the material to anyone interested. Just pm me your mailing address. Matter of fact, thats probably best bet

Comment

Originally posted by rscheiring View Post
            ...mail samples of the material...
            good call, people can certainly decide easier with something in their hands than from subjective reviews on a web forum ;)

Comment

Or you could buy a sheet of Alcantara and make it yourself.

Comment

I'm up for an Alcantara in April aswell.
                Last edited by Kilomph; 02-14-2007, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
                  p.s. I <3 my shift and e-brake boots, I'm sure that the quality of the headliner will be awesome, too.
                  ditto, if i had any use for a headliner id buy one... hmmm maybe a headliner would look good in my cab, cover up the bars...
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                  Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

To be honest, I don't actually like the German "Canvas" material. It seems cheap. I prefer a softer headliner.
                    I would be in at $125, or $150 for that matter if the material is of sufficient quality and the finish good.
                    I know you're offering black, but would charcoal/graphite be possible? It's not like an exact colour match is required, as E30 headliners are all a different colour from the interior anyway!!!
                    I'm in as soon as I can confirm I like the material. I would presume it's about a month before this GB gets properly going, if there's the interest. I'm patient though. :D

Rob: if you could send me a few different samples (see PM) I will take detailed pics of the material(s) and post up...
                    Moving sale: Everything Must Go!
                    FS: 2001 740iL Sport, low mileage..... SOLD
                    FS: 1990 Mtec II 325iS, $12,0K OVNO
                    FS: 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L Navi..... SOLD

FS: New Rieger lip, lachsilber metallic (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)
                    FS: Very rare, new lachsilber metallic E30 Aero pack sideskirts... (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)

Extreme 325iS (well, slowly getting there, anyway)......
                    Almost too many mods to list ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by sweetride01 View Post
                      ...I don't actually like the German "Canvas" material. It seems cheap. I prefer a softer headliner.
                      is this purely speculative / sight unseen? having had both in my possession, it shocks me to hear that, but hey, to each his/her own.

Comment

Originally posted by dmoffitt View Post
                        is this purely speculative / sight unseen? having had both in my possession, it shocks me to hear that, but hey, to each his/her own.
                        I'm not neccessarily saying the EXACT soft material you have the sample of. I'm saying in general. It's good not everyone has the same tastes though, or we might all drive Tauruses. ;)

FS: Very rare, new lachsilber metallic E30 Aero pack sideskirts... (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)

Comment

Originally posted by sweetride01 View Post
                          ...or we might all drive Tauruses. ;)
                          BAHAHAH!!! so true ;)

Comment

Originally posted by dmoffitt View Post
                            BAHAHAH!!! so true ;)
                            The funnier thing is that we both have the exact same car almost! :D

Anyways, back to the thread subject. I will post again when I get the samples...

Comment

how soon are these headliners available? I see that the regular price is 175? How much for shipping to 95128 and how soon could I get it?

I'm re-doing a huge chunk of bodywork and paint right now, so the very near future is ideal for me.
                              - Jason

Comment

I can do them anytime. As for the GB, I'd say there has been decent interest but I don't have a solid "I'm in" count of 5 or more.

Btw, I can do either the standard foam backed cloth or a microfibre cloth - feel free to pm me you address and I can send out a sample of each.

Comment

Working...
                                X