1989 325is Manual Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 325is Manual Transmission

Good evening gentlemen. I am new to this forum and in a desperate search for a manual transmission for my 1989 BMW 325is. My father, his close friend and I usually pull parts from local yards and this works just fine for us. However, on our last visit to the yard, we spent all day wrestling and tugging on a 1988 325e manual transmission. At the time we did not know of the incompatibility between the i/is & the e model. Now we are stuck searching for places that could have this transmission. Could anyone point me in the correct direction please? I live in the southwest area of Houston, TX.

Thank You.

That transmission can be made to work with the M20B25 single mass flywheel. The bell housing is deeper and you need a different throwout bearing.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Check out: Euro 323 throw out bearing pn 21511204525
      1991 318is sold!
      1989 325=track car--S52'd
      Durango R/T for towing.
      >>>Build thread<<<
      M235i daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        That transmission can be made to work with the M20B25 single mass flywheel. The bell housing is deeper and you need a different throwout bearing.
        incorrect info jlevie; a very rare occurance!!

From my own 87 car with matching to body vin number on its transmission I learned:

the 87/88 325E have shallow bellhousings. They are identical to the 325i units and have a DUAL MASS flywheel from bmw; they have a clutch stack height identical to a e34 525i dual mass and can take a 325i M20 flywheel and clutch and standard throw out bearing happily.

in my 6 speed conquest I had all the variations side by side to compare WITH CLUTCHES and flywheels also;

m20 deep bell
        m20 eta shallow bell
        m20 i normal bell with no sensor holes

zf5 speed

e46 gas zf 6 speed
        e46 disel zf 6 speed
        e46 m3 getrag 6 speed
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
        X