Filling trans through vent hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filling trans through vent hole?

Hey guys, having issues getting the full plug off on my trans. I know I can get a tube up there to fill the trans, but is there a reason I shouldn't fill from there other than not knowing how much fluid is in there?

It will come off, mine was tight as shit.

The vent hole on my g265 is tiny, so it would take forever to fill, but should be doable.
    1991 335is in progress

Comment

Grab a pair of vice grips, get a steel grade bolt that fits (17mm, I believe) and put them on pretty tight. It's a pain, but at least you will be able to fill it to the correct amount.
      1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
      2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
      2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

make a tool using a couple nuts and a 17mm bolt.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Why not just fill it through the reverse light hole?
          Its much more accessable than the fill hole whoch is right directly interlodged between the trans and firewall. if you want to do the vent hole though, a G260 will take 1.3; I'd fill it up with at least that to be sure, maybe 1.5 for safe measure if you are able to get the drain plug off

I've had the issue where my drain plug wouldn't come off an I had to siphon the oil through the full plug. Luckily, the G260 I have now has the nut headed-bolts (much easier to deal with), not the easily stripped female-torx head

#e30problems

Comment

It's fine. A friend ran a line from the vent, to under his hood, on his Pro3 race car. He removes the fill plug on the tranny, and fills from under the hood untill it spills out.

Done.
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Wow, thanks for all help guys. I realized I didn't mention where I wanted to fill from (the vent hole)... You guys still helped out.

I'll give a few of these tips a try and let you guys know.

Comment

Made it a snap.

Getting the plug off can be tricky though. I bought a hex key, and cut it down to make it stubby. Works a treat.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I got it off thanks guys! I had to use a torch to heat up the loctite on the plug.

Comment

I had to buy a hex, cut a piece off then have one of my machinist grind it flat. Then I was able to put a wrench on it because it was way over torqued. And fits much better with firewall so close.
                    "I wanna see da boat movie"
                    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Working...
                    X