Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument cluster

Hey guys,

I have a 1991 318i. I picked up an instrument cluster for cheap from a 1985 318i. The cluster looks a little different. I assume everything is plug-and-play? No compatibility issues?

Thanks in advance.

I do not believe so. I think there are several different ones. Make sure the tac reads the same (5k or 7K) and also you will have to swap the white coding plug on the front of the cluster if all else checks out I think. Do some searching on here and you will find the answers. Good luck
    View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Comment

It's all plug and play BUT that cluster is all wrong for your car. 85 318i is an M10 engine car, not M42. You want at least an 86-on cluster. Preferably, late 318i of course or 88-91 325i (just change the coded chip in front)
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
        It's all plug and play BUT that cluster is all wrong for your car. 85 318i is an M10 engine car, not M42. You want at least an 86-on cluster. Preferably, late 318i of course or 88-91 325i (just change the coded chip in front)
        No problem swapping old style vs new style clusters. I've swapped in an 84 cluster board with an 88 speedo, temp gauge, and fuel gauge works perfectly minus being a 5k tach in a 6k revlimit motor (super eta).

Comment

Working...
        X