Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my 30's chassis bent? (Door not closing right, trunk likewise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my 30's chassis bent? (Door not closing right, trunk likewise)

im trying to figure out if the chassis of my e30 is okay. I cant find any clues of repaired accident damage, the rear left quarterpanel was repainted at some point, but i only found some minor dents under very little bondo, so that doesnt look like much.
    Now the reason why i'm asking is that i cant get the driver side door to close as easy as the other one, no matter how long i try adjusting it. It seems the seal gets squeezed real tight in the area around the windshield top.
    The trunk feels the same, i really need to smack it shut for it to lock.
    I did cross measurements under the car between the outer eyeball mounting bolt and the rear axle bushing bolt and i came out at 2079mm both ways, so that looks good...
    Any ideas what gives? Let me know if you want pics of anything.

Check all vins. E30's had there vins posted on every door, hood, bumper, valance, trunk, you name it it'll prob have a vin. If it doesn't search if it should and if it should and you don't have one it was replaced.

edit: Your in Germany not sure if vins are posted there on panels

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Try lubricating the trunk lock mechanism, use graphite. Avoid white lithium grease. As far as a tight door seal...are the seals on both sides the same? Does the door "sag" when open, or does it line up neatly?

Comment

Hey,
        sadly we dont have VIN's in Germany, theres only one Number on the Frame.
        Now the door on the passenger side closes like new and the seal looks perfect all around.
        The driver side door doesnt sag, so would think i have it adjusted pretty well, it just builds some resistance when closing, from squeezing the seal in the front upper corner. But now that i think about it, the rear upper corner of the door has some nasty fixed spot, maybe something hit the open door and bent the window frame, hmm...
        The trunk lock is lubricated pretty well i think, but have to check what kind of lube i used. But that one feels more like it was the seal, too.
        Thx!

Comment

E30s didn't start getting vins on all the panels until 86 so you can't go by that but if you pull carpets and weatherstripping back you should be able to find signs of repair if it did get a quarter pannel, they have to have a seem somewhere.
          Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
          Bimmerbuddies LLC
          717-388-1256
          2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
          bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X