Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sachs FX stage 3 clutch - super cheap but is it good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sachs FX stage 3 clutch - super cheap but is it good?

Hey guys,

I'm at the point where I need to get a clutch for my turbo build. Has anyone run the eBay Sachs fx stage 3 clutch with around 350 ftlb of torque? Is this the same kit as the old F1 kit that I can't seem to find anywhere?

I'm hoping this thing is acceptable because it's half the price of the spec!
    1987 325es - Turbo Build - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=379110
    1988 320i Touring

(edit)
    The clutch started sticking to the flywheel for some reason and I eventually had trouble getting into gear from neutral because it would not disengage. Don't know why. Not recommended.

Original:

I have one of those FX clutches ("stage 2" though), and haven't had any issues. It hasn't exploded on me and I rev higher than most M20s ever will, and it hasn't slipped, though I don't have the torque a boosted M20 has. I'm doing a 5 speed swap for a local and he has the FX "stage 3." Quality looks good, just like mine did, so they at the very least aren't dodgy, but I cannot speak to whether they will deliver on their torque holding promises. Personally, when I build an M20 for my car, I'll buy something a little more trustworthy.
    Last edited by varg; 06-16-2019, 08:06 PM.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 1-26

Comment

I am/was.

Put it on my N/A car in 2011 for a year.
      Turbo'd my car 2012 and held up 300wtq of weekly abuse. Never gave it a thought.
      Redid my setup in 2014 and held up 403wtq and started slipping in 4th (only) on the dyno. It always grabbed 2nd and 3rd, but slipped 4th after a few runs. (4th is like way over the speed limit so I was rarely there).
      Running lower boost now (estimating 340wtq~), because reasons, and it slips after like 5 back to back runs in 3rd sometimes, but the clutch is well worn now anyways so I'm not mad.

Conclusion: Great clutch for the money if your goals aren't over what's advertised - the rated # was pretty spot on in my experience and held up great till I made more TQ.
      It's kind of grabby and favors a high-pedal engagement. I was told this can be changed if you change the master out for something else, but it's time for a new clutch after 4+ years of use and some abuse anyways.

Would buy again?: Not sure. If this car gets driven everyday, probably not because of it's grabby nature. Weekend car/racekorr, probably would since I won't mind and it served me very well.

Notes: I used a BMW OEM pilot bearing, not the one provided because reasons.
      Last edited by ak-; 02-09-2016, 06:05 PM.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Awesome thanks a ton for the feedback guys. I think I'll give it a shot since my car will primarily be a street/autocross car. Good call on the oem pilot bearing.
        1987 325es - Turbo Build - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=379110
        1988 320i Touring

Comment

Working...
        X