Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel leaking from muffler drain hole. Help me D: Updated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel leaking from muffler drain hole. Help me D: Updated!

Ok so I recently finished up swapping out the vacuum and coolant lines under the intake manifold. Everything went back together smooth no problems.

The issue...
    As soon as I turn the car on, fuel immediately begins dripping out of a small drain hole at the back of the muffler canister. (i'll post a picture and video next weekend).

Initial diagnoses & symptoms:
    - The engine idles fairly okay, but stumbles every so often. Also smokes quite a bit.
    -unplugged the afm and seems to idle a little better and doesn't stumble. However it does smoke a little more.
    -the exhaust fumes smells very heavily of gas and a few drops of oil are coming out of the tail pipe.
    -1215 code is being thrown via the stomp test at idle, but disappears when car is revved past 3500 rpm.

changes thus far:
    -fuel filter
    -spark plugs
    -vacuum, coolant hoses
    -DME reset maybe 3+ times.
    -ICV, intake manifold and throttle body cleaned.

next steps:
    -set of injectors (280150556)
    -O2 sensor
    -Blue coolant temp sensor
    -Fuel pressure regulator
    -AFM
    -intake manifold gaskets (upper and lower)
    -cleaning out all the electrical connections with contact cleaner, gonna get this stuff this week(http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...1740p.html#srp)
    -checking for sparking with tester

Things to note:
    -I don't think it can be the AFM being bad because it was working fine when I first bought the car maybe 2 months ago. Also the idle and everything else was fine. Seemed to get progressively worse as I replaced old parts... lol

-Car revs through the range like nothing is wrong, but even more fuel drains from the muffler.

Also when the car is off, no fuel is leaking at all.

This problem is becoming more and more of a PITA, I bought the car to enjoy and drive not fixing a 1 in a million problem UGH, I've been searching google like a maniac for the last 3 months with nothing remotely close even on other forums(bimmerforum, m42club, e30tech etc.) I need some help D:

UPDATE #1
    Good News:
    -electrical connectors were cleaned out
    -car doesn't throw 1215 code anymore
    -AFM ruled out

Bad News:
    -#3 wire is super weak
    -injectors harness (box that connects the injectors) was pinched to hell, & exposed bare wire

more to note:
    -at cold start, NO fuel drips from the exhaust and idles perfect. As soon some throttle is given to move the car, idle starts to stumble and fuel starts to drip....
    Last edited by othatseric; 11-06-2016, 05:35 PM.

op can you confirm the substance coming from the exhaust is in fact fuel and not condensation/water from combustion???

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Assuming it's actually fuel coming out of the tailpipe, can you confirm all the cylinders are actually get spark? Or perhaps an injector is stuck open?

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
        op can you confirm the substance coming from the exhaust is in fact fuel and not condensation/water from combustion???
        I will try confirming this weekend, but i am 99% sure its fuel from the color and smell. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
          Assuming it's actually fuel coming out of the tailpipe, can you confirm all the cylinders are actually get spark? Or perhaps an injector is stuck open?
          I'm picking up a tester this week testing out all 4 plugs this weekend. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by othatseric View Post
            I'm picking up a tester this week testing out all 4 plugs this weekend. thanks
            If a plug isn't firing it could also be something else up the chain (plug wires, etc). You may try temporarily swapping components around to pinpoint the issue. If an injector is stuck open, that will be a bit harder to diagnose. :(

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              If a plug isn't firing it could also be something else up the chain (plug wires, etc). You may try temporarily swapping components around to pinpoint the issue. If an injector is stuck open, that will be a bit harder to diagnose. :(
              If this was the case, how is it possible parts of the ignition system can just die? I know i didn't touch any part of when I was taking the manifolds off etc. I know the car is old and all.. :/ but thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by othatseric View Post
                If this was the case, how is it possible parts of the ignition system can just die? I know i didn't touch any part of when I was taking the manifolds off etc. I know the car is old and all.. :/ but thanks!
                Things just break sometimes. Especially once they have been touched.

I read your original post again. Did you hook up the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) vacuum hose to the throttle body?

There's a lot going on under the intake (fuel, coolant, vacuum lines). Rough idle can usually be associated with vacuum leaks. The FPR line could certainly be the cause of that leak, but the valve cover -> mess under intake -> ICV vacuum hoses could also be the culprit. Seeing that you are having fuel issues, look at the FPR vacuum line first.

Comment

Update #1 added to OP

Comment

If you weren't getting full spark at one of the cylinders, the gas may not be igniting there.

Comment

Working...
                    X